Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Bucket seat spacers on 64 GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Bucket seat spacers on 64 GT

When I dismantled my 64 GT for restoration, there were U-shaped wooden spacers around the bolts that hold the seats down to the floor pan. Were these factory parts? Mine were in bad shape and I did not replace them. However my 5'3' wife can barely see out the windshield! I was wondering what others do to give good seat height and keep to originality. What is the proper way of mounting the bucket seats. Thanks.

I used pieces of 2 X 4 wood to raise the seats in my 51 starlight coupe. Drilled the wood blocks for bolts and used longer bolts than the factory used.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

My 64 hawk had the same spacers under the seat so I would guess they where factory or some one had the same idea on both our cars.

Comment

I found the same stuff on my '62 GT Hawk. What were they thinking (wood)?
        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
        '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Pretty sure the wood blocks are in every GT. There is some variance in thicknesses, I believe to insure the seat does not tilt outward toward the door. The same type of wood is used under the dash to mount the handbrake on all Hawks. The wood is very hard, but not prone to cracking or chipping, probably something like oak. Also, every piece I have seen was painted black.

Comment

Maybe a kickback to the old wagon building days?

Comment

Had several thin wood blocks stacked in my '62 GT Hawk under the seats also. Wonder what the part number was...
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

My '62 has no widen blocks under the seat. The seats just bolt to the floor. Maybe that's why I've heard people complain about fitting under the steering wheel, and it's not an issue for me. I did raise the rear of the drivers seat about 3/16" by putting a hinge between the seat and floor. Why? You ask; because it makes it WAY easier to get under the dash by just removing the front bolts and tipping the seat back. Tip it back forward and drop in and tighten two bolts. No dinking around finding somplace to put the seat when removed or trying to get bolts back in.
                sigpic

Comment

The wood blocks were a factory installation on all GT Hawks to "level" the outside of the seat with the inside mount. I don't remember where I saw this referenced, but I do remember it being in print somewhere. The part # is also somewhere (I don't have a parts manual with me), I'll look when I get out to my shop and report if I find it. Bill
                  P.S. as Joe stated, they were all painted black!

Comment

Originally posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
                    The wood blocks were a factory installation on all GT Hawks to "level" the outside of the seat with the inside mount. I don't remember where I saw this referenced, but I do remember it being in print somewhere. The part # is also somewhere (I don't have a parts manual with me), I'll look when I get out to my shop and report if I find it. Bill
                    P.S. as Joe stated, they were all painted black!
                    When I see a GT with the seat backs angled outward and, "kissing" the door/rear quarter top stainless strip, I immediately suspect that the wooden blocks are missing, but never mention it. LOL

Comment

My 64 GT also had the wooden blocks, I have them left over if you need the dimensions. I decided to use fender washers to shim up my bucket seats.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post

When I see a GT with the seat backs angled outward and, "kissing" the door/rear quarter top stainless strip, I immediately suspect that the wooden blocks are missing, but never mention it. LOL
                        How far from the doors are your seats with the blocks? With no blocks, my seats are 1 1/2" from each door and perfectly paralell to one another at 9" apart. From what I see, blocks would only serve to raise the seats in my '62 GT.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post

How far from the doors are your seats with the blocks? With no blocks, my seats are 1 1/2" from each door and perfectly paralell to one another at 9" apart. From what I see, blocks would only serve to raise the seats in my '62 GT.
                          I have only ever seen the blocks on the outboard side, never on the inboard side. As mentioned, many GT seats will have an outward cant, with the top of the seat back angling toward the stainless strip on top of the door/rear quarter panel. True, it could be due to sagging floorboards or broken seats, but it is also a strong indication the blocks are missing. As someone else mentioned, I have been creative in the past, i.e. used red rubbr shock bushings instead of wood (to match red carpet). Yes, raising the outboard side slightly raises seat height, but also tilts it inboard, most notable at top of the backrest. Seating position and comfort also improves, you no longer feel like you are listing toward the door. I installed Chrysler Sebring convertible seats in both GTs several years ago, and the original seats are long gone, and would never go back to OEM, but that's another subject.

Your seats sound just about perfect. Using yours for reference in the future, you will see what I am talking about.

Comment

Working...
                          X