Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Drippy Sky Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Drippy Sky Hawk

I'm working on a friend's Sky Hawk that left me a big puddle of what I thought was transmission fluid, after he pulled it into my garage. After getting it on the lift, I couldn't find any evidence of a tranny leak but I did notice some red fluid drops on the under

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200324_112853[1].jpg
Views:	15
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	1826543side of the engine where the power steering pump's located and upon opening the top, saw what's probably the source. My friend's mechanic (not me) used these heat shield sleeves, as the hoses are really against the exhaust manifold. I'm thinkin' these thin shields aren't enough protection for the hoses. I should say, this engine and auto transmission were transplanted from a donor '57 President with only about 60K miles. I'm probably going to have to find - or have made - longer hoses and re-route them away from the heat. Sound reasonable? Thanks!

Have you looked at other cars with early power steering to determine hose routing?

Before replacing the hoses, why not determine where the leak actually is?

Is the reservoir bowl loose on the pump? You can put a socket wrench into the fluid and tighten the bowl onto the pump, if the bowl is loose.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

That's a type "A" pump. type "B" routes the pressure house outboard of the steering gear. the return hose could be made to run a different path. maybe follow the pressure hose routing. Luck Doofus

Comment

According to parts manual different hoses on C K coupes from sedans

Comment

I have never seen Saginaw hoses ran that close to the exhaust, and do not think it is a good idea. If the hoses are for another application and too short, you could have a longer hose made, using your old ends. Tell them it is for a back hoe or something. If you say it is for PS, they likely will not wanna make the hose due to potential litigious concerns.

Comment

How do you get the spark plugs out without removing the hose? I agree with Joe get new hoses made because those are obviously not the right ones.

Comment

Definitely will have the longer hoses made! Does this pump take ATF, when the time comes to re-fill?

Comment

I put ATF in mine, but there has been a long discussion about using more modern fluids.

Did you locate the actual source of the leak?
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I have Saginaw PS in the 56J, and Bendix PS in both GTs. They all operate smoother with modern PS fluid, which I have been using since the mid 1990s. But NEVER use anything with a stop leak additive, regardless whether you use ATF or PS fluid.

Comment

Working...
                  X