Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

gas filter /check valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: gas filter /check valve

does anyone have experiece with using a water seperator/filter and or a check valve in line. also does stock mechanical fuel pump have check valve? 1960 289 hawk

Every mechanical fuel pump made has what you might call a check valve. To clarify, there is a one way valve in, and a one way valve out. On the down stroke of the arm, fuel is pulled into the chamber through the inlet valve.,(open). The outlet valve is situated opposit, and is closedso fuel in the line after the pump cant flow backwardsback towards the pump. A s soon as the arm starts moving the other way on the stroke, the inlet valve closes, and the fuel has no where to go except through the outlet valve.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

You don't state your incentive for wanting such a valve. If you are having excessive cranking issues suspecting that the gas in your carburetor has either evaporated or drained back to the tank, I have an alternative solution to try. Back in the day, about as common as those clamp on outside rearview mirrors, was the inline glass bowl filters. Some vehicles came with them. My 8N tractor has one. Now...two of my Studebaker vehicles have them. I place them just before the carburetor. It adds a little reservoir of gas close to the carburetor. I will not swear that they help. But, they are period correct, don't hurt anything, and I feel better having them there.

Had to come back and edit after posting the above. Out of curiosity, I entered an internet search for "Inline automotive fuel check valve." Yep...they're available. Even NAPA has them. Small little boogers. Looks like you can get them in 3/8" or 5/16" size. Give one a try. Report back and let us know how it works out for you.
      Last edited by jclary; 03-22-2020, 07:04 PM.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My 6 cyl '63 Champ has an almost identical glass bowl integral with the fuel pump.

Comment

I had installed an inline check valve in the fuel line between the mechanical pump and carb. It did help in hard starts and starting after the car sat for many days. I removed it when I removed the mechanical pump and installed an electric pump and rerouted the fuel line and filter out of the engine compartment. I now only have about 18" of insulated fuel line under the hood and have no more fuel delivery issues.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1096 TEXT.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1826367
          Last edited by bensherb; 03-22-2020, 11:26 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rbisacca View Post
            My 6 cyl '63 Champ has an almost identical glass bowl integral with the fuel pump.
            The engines I have installed the additional glass bowl filters also have one built-in at the inlet of the fuel pumps. Adding them as I did is not so much for the purpose of filtering... but my main reason was to have the additional reservoir of gas near the carburetor.

OH...Ben...Great looking engine bay!!! You ever drive it on the road?
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

People that think that the gas is draining back to the tank with a mechanical fuel pump installed on the engine are not thinking it through. It is physically not possible, unless both valves in the fuel pump are bad. In which case it would not pump anyways.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                People that think that the gas is draining back to the tank with a mechanical fuel pump installed on the engine are not thinking it through. It is physically not possible, unless both valves in the fuel pump are bad. In which case it would not pump anyways.
                I agree, but since carburetor bowl/reservoirs are vented to atmosphere, fuel vaporizes as a hot engine cools, and over time sitting. Also, if the gasoline resistant sealant the porous castings were treated with when new has been broken down by cleaning in lacquer thinner (or age?/ethanol?)...gas will vaporize right through the bowl.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  OH...Ben...Great looking engine bay!!! You ever drive it on the road?
                  Thanks John. Yes I do drive it, but it rarely rains here, and I have no need to drive it in the rain, and after few years I finally got all the oil leaks stopped and got stuff clean. The big problem here is dust.
                  Here's a full pic for you: (please overlook the stray wires on the left fender, they were temporary for a test at the time)
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1116.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1826439

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X