No announcement yet.

1956 Golden hawk torque box specs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1956 Golden hawk torque box specs?

Looking for dimensions and or a drawing showing the torque boxes on the 56 Golden Hawk.

Do you mean the 'hog troughs'?
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Torque boxes/hog troughs: The Studebaker Museum has an archive of nearly all the engineering drawings and will sell you copies. The boxes are made from several components. Classicic Enterprises sells reproductions parts for the outer and inner rockers (https://www.classicent.com/products/...anel-1953-1964) and I understand the quality is very good. Someone who sees your post may have purchased a copy of the drawings and may be willing to share the information and someone who has used the CE parts may share their experience. Good luck, hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by fatboylust View Post
        Torque boxes/hog troughs: The Studebaker Museum has an archive of nearly all the engineering drawings and will sell you copies. The boxes are made from several components. Classicic Enterprises sells reproductions parts for the outer and inner rockers (https://www.classicent.com/products/...anel-1953-1964) and I understand the quality is very good. Someone who sees your post may have purchased a copy of the drawings and may be willing to share the information and someone who has used the CE parts may share their experience. Good luck, hope this helps
        Pretty sure CI does not sell either type C/K hog trough, for 53-61 or 62-64. The 62-64 are less complicated, narrower, and likely easier to substitute into a 53-61 than visa versa, but neither are available. If doing a frame off, it would be fairly easy to use factory drawings and duplicate either type, especially if replacing the floors at same time. Alternately, I have seen several home-engineered versions in 53-61 that, "do the job" as good or better than OEM. So the OP can choose either approach, but not likely to find a repro pair anywhere, AFAIK the only ones available are for Avanti.
        Last edited by JoeHall; 03-18-2020, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post

Pretty sure CI does not sell either type C/K hog trough, for 53-61 or 62-64.
          I know the '53 and '54 C bodies don't have them. Their purpose was to stiffen the bodies of the hardtop K bodies, since they had no B pillar. When were hog troughs added to C bodies?

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Here is something from CE website:

1953-1961 Sub-Floor Torque Boxes

The Studebaker engineers added torque boxes to the 1953-1964 hardtop types to add rigidity to the body. Without the original boxes your Stude may be somewhat "too flexible" to suit your present day fancy. There is no re-manufacture of the '53-'61 torque boxes because of the complexity of the system and because too little demand exists at this time.
            But all may not yet be lost.
            The boxes used on pre-GT types were made as a wider box than the GT types. When the GT was developed, the Studebaker engineers used the outboard portion of the earlier box to add some rigidity to the GT body. (note our cross section line drawing below in the CK Rocker and Inner Rocker illustration).
            The outboard part of the box which we re-manufacture is the most complex part of the system which would be very difficult for you to hand fabricate. Many of our customers install a GT type box on their earlier Studes and consider the installation adequate. Others install our GT boxes and add a hand fabricated inboard box for a little extra rigidity and a more authentic appearance. The main obstacle to both installations is that the inboard side of our GT box will have to be cut to allow the acceptance of the earlier type center body support, which is different than the GT center support. The modification is easy to do and can be patched and undercoated to look quite presentable.
            Many of our customers have done an installation as outlined above with impressive success. (It should be noted that our boxes can be retro-fitted to an already painted vehicle if necessary. All installation can be accomplished unobtrusively with no welding through the use of modern adhesives, metal screws, or pop-rivets).
            Give us a call if you have questions.
            Lamonte, 715-537-5422

Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Attached are photos of the GT boxes from CE. All the floor braces, inner and outer rockers are CE as well. The floors and sill thresholds are Leroy Cary's. I am putting this arrangement in a 53 C-body. I want the added strength they will provide. The body will sit on a scratch built Art Morrison frame I bought as a knocked down kit. This will allow me to place the body mounts on the frame as required. Also attached are two photos of a 63 GT floor showing the brace added to the floor at the point where the lack of a "B" pillar is needed. I am not sure if the earlier K-body had these. Andrew at the museum can probably get you a drawing. Be sure to ask for a black on white copy or you will get a true, old school, "blue print". Hope this helps. I have more photos of the GT and my parts. Let me know if you want me to post them.

JK
              Attached Files

Comment

53-58K hogtrough are available from Cary fabricating service. Parts are same as original and do not require any modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by leroy View Post
                  53-58K hogtrough are available from Cary fabricating service. Parts are same as original and do not require any modifications.
                  Wow, that is the best news yet. I am guessing the hardest part would be removing the old ones.

Comment

Joe, if you like drilling spot welds it's easy, if you don't it's harder but you use the same holes to position and plugweld the replacement parts.

Comment

Originally posted by leroy View Post
                      Joe, if you like drilling spot welds it's easy,
                      Is the replacement of these much exacerbated by leaving the body on the frame? Or would that aid in keeping the original geometry?

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10,
                      '51 Commander Starlight,
                      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I install these on the frame for the support. The problem area is the middle body brace. It is easier to remove the complete assembly as the rusty picture shows.
                        Ods are the middle brace is bad even if the bottom looks fair. One good thing is the drilling is mostly done from top inside the car. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                        X