Straw poll: Filling The Driveline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Straw poll: Filling The Driveline

As a new Champ owner - but one not new to wrenching on old cars - I’m always struck by how awkward it is refilling the transmission and rear axle. The latter is generally easier to access than the former, but using 80 or 90 weight is never an elegant and dripless adventure...it tends to get everywhere.

I certainly prefer working on any pickup rather than the lower chassis’ of a sedan, but accessing the fill hole while transferring oil from jug to said hole is a less than elegant affair. And with the HD 4-speed T-98 gulping 8 pints of 90W it’s a true pain in the neck.

So I’d like to ask others out there: what do you use to transfer and fill the new lube into the hole?

At one time, I think there was a hand pump package version of gear oil offered for just about every brand of gear oil. If they are not still offering that...I think you can also buy the little plastic hand pump assembly separate from the container as well. Either way, it is well worth the few bucks rather than struggle under a vehicle with low clearance while awkwardly attempting to find a position to gravity feed slow running gear oil into a half-inch hole.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I use one of those metal lid/picher pump things. I get my gear oil by 5 gallon buckets. Its gut that "J" shaped metal tube on the end thats perfect for just hanging in those holes.

Comment

Originally posted by thehotrodder View Post
        I use one of those metal lid/picher pump things. I get my gear oil by 5 gallon buckets. Its got that "J" shaped metal tube on the end thats perfect for just hanging in those holes.
        Doesn't everyone? ;>)
        jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

Years ago I got gear oil in a quart bottle about 3" diameter with a tapered nozzle cap. With about a foot of 3/8" vinyl hose on the nozzle I've never had any problem getting oil into any trans or axle. With a bit of a squeeze I can empty 3/4 of that bottle in just a minute or two. I also have a large metal industrial "syringe" that's made for this purpose, but it's a messy proposition.

Comment

OK. This is pretty much what I've used for years: a Lincoln 20 oz suction gun. And it's lousy, hence the reason for my quick poll.

The alternative is using the 1 quart bottles as a "squeeze bottle" refilled by the gallon jug of 80W90, but rarely do you get enough clearance/access for the bottle to empty fully, so out comes the suction gun.

You've sold me on the idea of a little transfer pump. I'm now good for the next 8000-10000 miles but still good to have it on hand.

PS.: the T-98 drain and fill plugs (5/8" square boss) were on so tight and painted over that who knows when it was last done. On the plus side, the oil was still fluorescent and fairly translucent but I did see a few pinches of yellow metal dust (no shavings, no teeth nor synchros!)

Thanks guys for the quick responses.

David

Comment

Working...
            X