Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bensherb
    replied
    I use to have some thick mylar sheet that worked great as a replacement for the old tar paper but it's long gone. Recently I used one of those "reusable" shopping bags they sell you at the grocery store. It was from Albertsons, and quite thick. I just cut it to cover the openings then stick it in place with latex calk applied around the opening. It works quite well. There's really no need for it across the entire door, its there to seal the door interior from it's exterior, anything that gets past the window into the door is kept away from the interior panel and will exit through the door drains. MAKE SURE THE DOOR DRAINS ARE CLEAR!

My older cars never had the tar paper. They simply had metal panels sealed and screwed in place over the interior panel perforations.

Leave a comment:

• wuga
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    You COULD really improve this String TITLE at lot for easier Search-ability, without "Door Panel", this one could be ANYTHING!
    Sorry, you are right,but I just didn't know what to call this stuff and now I don't know how to edit my title.
    Warren

Leave a comment:

• 64V19816
    replied
    ......ahhhh I remember way back when, taking off a door panel and seeing virginal door paper

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Of course, there's always the obvious hillbilly engineering solution...DUCT TAPE!

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    You COULD really improve this String TITLE at lot for easier Search-ability, without "Door Panel", this one could be ANYTHING!

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    What NCDave said. The OEM stuff may still be available, but it doesn't last long anyway. Just use polyethylene sheet.

Leave a comment:

• NCDave51
    replied
    It’s likely an oiled paper similar to a very thin roofing paper.

I’ve moved over to a 3-6 mil polyethylene sheet and made sure to tuck the bottom back into the cavity hole so anything that drains down the window can redirect and drain outside.

Adheres to door perfectly with the dum-dum strip material now sold as butyl caulk (3M Strip-Calk) just like original in most US vehicles.

Leave a comment:

• wuga
    started a topic Body / Glass: cover paper

cover paper

This is for my 62 Lark. There is a black paper glued over the access holes on the inside of the doors. It is probably a waterproof material to protect the backside of the door panels. I would like to replace it with a similar product. Does anyone know what it is and where it is available?
    Thanks
    Warren
Working...
X