Body: Hawk clutch & brake pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Body: Hawk clutch & brake pedals

I just drove my first Studebaker! So I'm a noob here, but I was considering the purchase of a '64 GT Hawk with manual trans. I found that the pedals for clutch and brake were offset to the left to a degree that I found distracting. Is this normal to all the manual Hawks? Of course I wasn't familiar with the car, but a couple of times I nearly hit the brake when I wanted the clutch pedal. Can someone fill me in here? Thanks.

Scott, the pedal pads are removable and they have offset studs by which they attach to the shaft that comes up thru the floor. Someone may have turned the pads 'backwards', which could cause your problem.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
      Scott, the pedal pads are removable and they have offset studs by which they attach to the shaft that comes up thru the floor. Someone may have turned the pads 'backwards', which could cause your problem.
      Thanks for the tip brngarage. I didn't buy that particular car, but I'm still looking, so I will keep this in mind.

Comment

Yes, the clutch and brake pedals are offset slightly more to the left than in most other makes of cars. After you drive it a couple times you get used to it.

Comment

My complaint was that when I applied the brakes my foot was against the steering column; most annoying. Guess I could have been born with a smaller foot.

Comment

Not really intending to be a smart-ass, but you WERE BORN with a smaller foot.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Yes, I can imagine MUCH smaller. Lol
              Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                Not really intending to be a smart-ass, but you WERE BORN with a smaller foot.
                Ha! I almost fell off my chair!
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                X