No charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: No charge

My 58 Silver Hawk 6 has no charge.Have installed a bench tested generator.Have two new regulators.polarized generator nothing.How can I test regulators?How do I find short or break in wiring?

I am by no means an expert but if I were having this problem I would have the engine running and a voltmeter handy. I would first check power at generator, then regulator, then battery. I am not sure of the gauge those had. I want to say it’s an amp gauge. Either way I’d check at the backside posts on that guy too. Seems to me there got to be power somewhere and one should be able to see where power stops at if checking at every point starting with the generator. I’d also note the condition of the wires where the insulation meets the plastic right at the base of every eyelit or spade connector. Good luck

Comment

Scoutergord;
      A shop manual for the 58 should have a good check out procedure.
      First before we can help you
      Which generator do you have Autolite or Delco?
      Do you have a volt ohm meter?
      Doing the following from memory; it has been a long while since I worked on a generator.
      Most Autolites supply voltage to the field through the regulator
      Delco as far as I know supply ground to the field through the regulator
      The battery terminal on the regulator should have 12 volts on it with the ignition key in the on position
      With the battery disconnected check the wires from the armature to the regulator for continuity with a ohm meter. and the same with the wires to the field
      Ron

Comment

Sixes are autolite.And polarizing the gen by shorting the bat and arm terminal creates a spark so power exists at the bat terminal

Comment

Generally: if you ground the field and no charge the generator is at fault. If gen charges with F grounded and no charge at ammeter the problem is the regulater. Be sure to polarize a new one! You might try a couple good whacks with a large screwdriver--I've hard good luck with that form of percussive maintainance (Hit the regulator--not the gen!)

Comment

Are you working with parts original to the car or do you possibly have mismatched parts?
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Is there a difference between Autolite and Delco as to grounding the field?Dont want to burn anything up. And I always polarize.

Comment

I would firstly assure the generator housing is grounded, as an added assurance I have grounded the generator directly to the regulator. I had this happen and rust and paint opened the ground circuit.

Comment

Scoutergord;
                  As a general rule Autolite(Prestolite) generators supply voltage to the field and Delco ground the field terminal through the regulator. There are exceptions. Both a Delco and Prestolite needs to have its frame grounded to the battery ground terminal. Usually it is best to run a wire from the generator to the regulator and then to the batteries ground terminal. Eliminates the chance of paint or rust getting in the way of a good ground.
                  As I previously mentioned; it is best to consult the factory manual. The manual costs less then a new regulator due to miss applying voltage.
                  Ron

Comment

I'm a little confused (not all that unusual), but it might just be a reading comprehension problem on my part. But...the title is "no charge" and I have read through the posts and not found any mention of "discharge." Is this a running engine? What is going on at the amp gauge? On all the vehicles I have, I either have "Charge," or "Discharge" on the gauge. The only time I have "No Charge"...is when the ignition switch is off or there is a disconnected wire?

I have had a generator fail and have the gauge showing discharge when all power is supplied by only the battery, or I have had the gauge peg to discharge from a direct short. I have also had the gauge peg on the charge side when incorrectly wiring up a generator to voltage regulator wires.

One test I do on my Studebakers is to turn on the ignition switch and see if the amp needle blinks to the discharge side. If it does not...there's likely a dead battery or corrosion somewhere interrupting the circuit charging up the coil. After sitting for a long time, I often have to check for corrosion in electrical circuit grounds and connecting terminals. As others have discussed...the shop manuals have wiring diagrams and you asked how to find a break in the wiring? With the proper wiring schematic and a multimeter, you can check a circuit from the source of power to ground and at all connecting terminals along the way.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I have just uploaded a Charging Circuit Troubleshooting Guide to my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TO...gShgKxw7m-7qS2
                      I hope this will help.
                      Nice day to all.
                      sigpic

Comment

How about some more confusion. I bought my 62 Hawk in 1998. It has had a prestolite generator and delco regulator on it all this time. Recently I took my 6V autolite generator to the auto electric shop. It was OK. He charged me $35 for the new regulator. In the applications on the box it says in fine print "Delco" on the Studebaker line. It works great! You figure it out. The reason I took it in was because of the "A" circuit and "B" circuit differences.
                        sigpic
                        Claude Chmielewski
                        Studeski
                        http://www.studeski.com
                        Fillmore, Wisconsin
                        47 M-16 Truck
                        53 Commander Regal HT
                        53 2R5
                        60 Lark VIII Convertible
                        60 5E7 Champ pickup
                        62 5E7 Champ no box
                        62 GT Hawk 4 speed
                        63 Lark VI parts car
                        63 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
                        64 Commander Wagonaire
                        64 Daytona Convertible
                        50 Champion Regal (parts car)
                        36 Dictator
                        36 Dictator in pieces

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
                          I have just uploaded a Charging Circuit Troubleshooting Guide to my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TO...gShgKxw7m-7qS2
                          I hope this will help.
                          Nice day to all.
                          That was a nice addition, Chris.... Thanks
                          64 GT Hawk (K7)
                          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Studeski;
                            Delco makes both A (ground the field terminal) circuit Regulators, as used as OEM on most if not all GM cars. Delco also makes B (supply voltage to the field terminal)circuit replacement regulators for to replace Autolite regulators used on Studebakers and other manufactures cars.. So does Blue Streak and other manufactures.
                            Ron

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post

That was a nice addition, Chris.... Thanks
                              You're welcome, Bob.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X