STUDEBAKER TUNNEL RAM INTAKES LOOK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow!
    What a work of art. It would be cool with a blower. With a set of Mikes heads or such, there would be no need for a hood. I'd be sporting it everywhere.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGlIUH-DiNA
    Gordon

Comment

Gorgeous eye candy! I doubt I'll ever personally own a Stude that would rate one, but it's cool looking[8D]

And- High and Mighty- the coolest drag car I've EVER seen!![:0]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by black56hawk

quote:Originally posted by JBody

Tunnel Ram For A Studebaker Engine? Are you serious? From what I've seen, the free-flowing, large-plenum "tunnel ram" was developed in the late 60's for use on ultra High-revving Small-block chexies for drag racing and competition boats.
        FYI, the tunnel ram was developed in 1959 by the "Ramchargers" - a group Chrysler employees, mostly engineers - for the 354 Hemi in their 1950 Plymouth drag car called the "High and Mighty."

High And Mighty. Sharp. Nice Car. Think I'll build a Clone. Yes, a manifold was cobbled up for just that particular car. So, when was the last time you even saw one of saw one of those? Besides, You don't need a 3 foot high tunnel ram to run 12 sec ets either. Though versions of the "tunnel ram" were made for most popular V8's at one point, the predominant use of the commercially available tunnel ram for engines that really ran was for chexies. Next, I suppose we'll be seeing a testimonial about Uncle Hermans' 47 Kaiser that had a Kustom tunnel ram on it way back in 51, and that he made and sold 1000's of them, just to prove Me wrong on the subject.

Comment

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...rod/index.html

Comment

quote:Originally posted by black56hawk

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...rod/index.html
            That puts a whole new spin on the saying "over the top"
            Rob in ND
            \'53 Commander resto-mod (work in process)

Comment

I firmly believe that if a little is good, then more is better, and too much is just right. Therefore, I plan to build a "Tunnel Ram" intake manifold that sticks up out of the hole in the hoood of my stude at LEAST 4 feet! No wait--5(five)feet with Three(3) four barrells, no less. Just to show how beneficial HP-wise it really is, I will install it on a 232 c.i. engine, after I get it unstuck after sitting 42 years. How does that sound? Should be pretty fast.

Comment

I think J might have attempted to make joke...

Mike

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten

Mike
                  No, Mike. I am very, very serious. I hope you didn't laugh at my ideas. My car should run good. I also plan to use straight sTp as the lubricant.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten

Key word...attempted.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I think maybe he is serious..... I for one would like to hear it run ? ! ? ! Just don't forget the 3" tube headers. You wouldn't want those spent exhaust gasses getting stuck in the exhaust ports would you?

sals54
                      sals54

Comment

Actually...I do appreciate J's history lesson.
                        The two shots of the "High and Mighty", Plymouth are a great piece of drag racing history.
                        Other than that...

Mike

Comment

quote: Yes, a manifold was cobbled up for just that particular car.
                          Actually:

quote: Of course, we didn't want to run a stock truck engine, so the search began for "speed" components. Chrysler was, at the time, doing a lot of investigative work into "tuned" intake manifolding. As part of this work, a crude intake manifold had been used which consisted of a plenum supported above the engine on steel angle. Connection to the ports was by fuel resistant hose. (Yes, it does look like ordinary radiator hose.) This allowed relatively easy changes in runner lengths during the dynamometer testing. Testing with this manifold had ended and, as was the customary procedure, it was scheduled for destruction. I don't know the details, but, somehow, between the dyno room and the shop, the manifold was "saved" and subsequently smuggled out of Central Engineering.
                          http://www.motorsportsvillage.com/billyshope/index.html

Comment

Earlier, Tom Hoover (later known as the "father of the Hemi") had built this tuned intake for the 392 Hemi in his personal car:

Note that the runners for one side of the engine are longer than the ones for the opposite side. It was an experiment . . . .

Comment

See what happens when ya let a tubing bender fall into the wrong hands? Looks like "Snakes on a Hemi".

Comment

Hotwheels -

If your sentence
                                quote:MIKE
                                Building Studebakers you have not read about...yet
                                was to me...

?
                                Please reword....

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X