STUDEBAKER TUNNEL RAM INTAKES LOOK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDEBAKER TUNNEL RAM INTAKES LOOK.

I WILL BE MAKING THESE IF THERE IS ANY INTEREST.YOU CAN BUY THE INTAKE PLATES,OR THE WHOLE INTAKE WITH YOUR CHOICE OF A TWO OR ONE CARB TOP PLATE, THEY ARE MADE OUT OF 6061-T6 BAR STOCK THE RUNNERS ARE MACHINED OUT OF SOLID AND HAVE A WALL BETWEEN THE PORTS,LET ME KNOW IF THERE IS ANY INTEREST IN THIS NEW PRODUCT. AND THEY ARE MADE IN MY CNC MACHINE SHOP. THANKS KEN EVANS

Fantastic...love it!
    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Incredible workmanship, Ted Harbit needs one. Note: I'm afraid to ask about the cost.

JDP/Maryland
      Please vote for Sid (64GT)in the NYT contest.
      http://collectiblecars.nytimes.com/Contest/
      JDP Maryland

Comment

I FORGOT THE PRICES, THE INTAKE PLATES ARE 95.00 PER PAIR AND THE INTAKE IS 780.00 COMPLETE. THANKS KEN

Comment

Tunnel Ram For A Studebaker Engine? Are you serious? From what I've seen, the free-flowing, large-plenum "tunnel ram" was developed in the late 60's for use on ultra High-revving Small-block chexies for drag racing and competition boats. Studebaker engines have a long stroke/small bore and cylinder heads that aren't zackly free-flowing, and most of them are rebuilt to be used for sweet-running Sunday street Cruisers. I'm sitting here thinking that a nice aluminum 4 barrel intake, or better yet--a line of replacement camshafts based on new cores might be a project that would be better receivd by Studebaker motorheads.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBody

Tunnel Ram For A Studebaker Engine? Are you serious? From what I've seen, the free-flowing, large-plenum "tunnel ram" was developed in the late 60's for use on ultra High-revving Small-block chexies for drag racing and competition boats. Studebaker engines have a long stroke/small bore and cylinder heads that aren't zackly free-flowing, and most of them are rebuilt to be used for sweet-running Sunday street Cruisers. I'm sitting here thinking that a nice aluminum 4 barrel intake, or better yet--a line of replacement camshafts based on new cores might be a project that would be better receivd by Studebaker motorheads.
            The fastest 259 I ever saw was a Lark with a homemade tunnelram. They work. Not for any sort of "street" application, but this intake will smoke anything else out there on a true race car, crummy Stude heads and all . . .

And I'm interested in buying one. Not until my car is actually finished and running, but count me in for one down the road 3-4-5 months . . .

Comment

1953; that is one sweet looking piece of work, and it definitely will wake up either a 289 or a 259! [^]

What RPM range is it tuned for?

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Incredible workmanship, looks like good-science design and a steal-of-a-deal price!

However, life is about trade-offs. For me, Studebakers are equally about style as as about speed and I just can't bring myself to cut a hole in the hood. Carbs poking through the hood would put the car in a racing class and a looks class I just don't want to be in. But then, just maybe a C-cab short wheelbase drag truck?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                PackardV8

Comment

THE INTAKE IS 5 1/2 INCHES TALL KEN

Comment

See my PM from the racing site.

Mike

Comment

Hey 53 Stude,that is BAD AZZ!! I am wondering could those runners be shortened in height and a top hat be made to mount a little 142 Weiand supercharger??? I have a Weiand on my 400 CI Belly Button motor in my 61 Lark,but allways wondered if a stock Stude 4bbl could be modified to accept the little blower.Your intake looks to be a much easier and cleaner starting point to acheave such a thing.Think a nice 289 with a small huffer=R5??!!?
                      Would that o-ring around the intake box hold 5 to 7 PSI of boost? I know I am bench racing here,but IF it could be done,say runners 1 inch or so tall,and a intake box uncut or tapped,what would that equal in cost.Would shortening the runners screw up the angle of the runners too much?How high are they in the picture?Hood clearance is a moot point,but how far the intake-blower combo sticking up would earn "obstructed vision" tickets,but would be SCREAMING EYE CANDY! A roots blown 289 would be a bad motor for a Studebaker Gasser,but a 471 or 671 would be a more period correct choice over a smaller,modern huffer. Wish I were independently wealthy!!

Comment

Champ -
                        Good idea....and sure it can.
                        Yes, the o-ring will hold up. The same basic dseign is used on drag race engines that see over 40lbs of boost.

Mike

Comment

Looks pretty cool but i dont think it would work well on a street car. Those are long runners and look to be a fair size. The runners also look fairly smooth which would offer poor fuel adomization at lower rpms. But it should looks like it would be a lot of fun on a drag racing studie!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBody

Tunnel Ram For A Studebaker Engine? Are you serious? From what I've seen, the free-flowing, large-plenum "tunnel ram" was developed in the late 60's for use on ultra High-revving Small-block chexies for drag racing and competition boats.
                            FYI, the tunnel ram was developed in 1959 by the "Ramchargers" - a group Chrysler employees, mostly engineers - for the 354 Hemi in their 1950 Plymouth drag car called the "High and Mighty."

Comment

64Stude -

Those runners are actually much shorter than a stock manifold!!
                              AND they appear to me to be about a stock sized cross section.
                              Smooth...yea, but that has nothing to do with atomization, that comes from above! The carburetor. But fuel can fall out of suspension at low speed in a short runner like that.

With a single small carburetor, that manifold can work better than/as well as, many other manifolds currently available for the Stude.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X