Headlight Relays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Headlight Relays

Just got finished installing a pair of relays for my headlights. I've got Hellas with H4 100/55 halogen bulbs. I HAD H4 60/55 bulbs, and I didn't trust the teeny weeny Stock wiring with THOSE, but they really did brighten things up vs Stock60/55's. Well, NOW with ceramic headlight sockets, #12 wiring through out, and #10 wire directly to the battery (+ and -)…WOW!.... The difference in brightness on Low beam is remarkable, not to mention the 100 watt High beams.

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
    I've got Hellas with H4 100/55 halogen bulbs. I tHAD H4 60/55 bulbs,
    Technically illegal here in Ca. (unless something recently changed) 55/65 is the max. It's not like anybody pays any attention to it though. Plus LED's aren't rated that way so a 55 watt one would be horrendously bright. One reason I hate driving at night these days, these ungodly bright lights literally blind me when they're comming toward me, even from 200ft away on the other side of the freeway. I've never found the standard old sealed beam to be a problem, either comming or going.

Comment

Can you say: "WAY Overkill"?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I agree with bensherb. We just got home from a 600 mile trip, and 150 miles were two lane. The modern headlights are so bright, that you are literally blinded when meeting them, especially on two lane roads. Sealed beams always seemed more than adequate, for many years.

Comment

The 100W hi beams would be nice around here in Kentucky, to see the wildlife better at night. Would have limited use though, as could not use them when oncoming traffic is closer than a mile away. I have been running halogens in the Studes for probably at least 15-20 yeas now. Cannot remember when I did not have them.

Comment

This is a pet peeve of mine. Modern cars have super-bright lights, but the beam pattern is crap. It's like lighting engineers have forgotten everything they were ever trained in optics. They brilliantly flood the area immediately in front of the car, and some 45 degrees to either side, but the long beam down the road is gone. I could see that driving down I-15 in Utah last week. I'm driving my '96 Suburban, factory composite lights, with sort of dull lenses. I get passed by some newer car with LED lights, and there's this great pool of blue-white light, but I can still see the yellowish beams from my lights picking out the road signs beyond the range of the new cars' lights.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

"The 100W hi beams would be nice around here in Kentucky, to see the wildlife better at night.''

The MAIN reason for the 100W High beams. We live in the "Country", and the deer are thick at night...accidents weekly.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Can you say: "WAY Overkill"?
                Why "WAY overkill"?... Properly adjusted H4's, especially on Low beam (55w) are not any worse than properly adjusted 55w sealed beams, and the Hella housings throw a much improved light pattern. The 100w High beams have been explained in my previous Post.
                Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 03-10-2020, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Ford F-150 Pickup Trucks Recalled Because Their Headlights Are Too Bright

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...re-too-bright/

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post

Why "WAY overkill"?... Properly adjusted H4's, especially on Low beam (55w) are not any worse than properly adjusted 55w sealed beams, and the Hella housings throw a much improved light pattern. The 100w High beams have been explained in my previous Post.
                    Theres no issue with "properly adjusted H4's" . It's the properly adjusted and beyond 65w part that is the problem. As mentioned earlier, the big problem is with lens design since abandoning the sealed beam; or perhaps it's simply the round lens. My wife and father both have 2014 or newer vehicles, and their lights, though FAR brighter than even my non sealed beam '99 and '01 vehicles, which have marginally useful lights, are pitiful with very little useful light. Honestly, all my sealed beam cars have legal H4 bulbs and all have FAR better and usefull lighting without offending oncoming traffic than any of those without.

Comment

I appreciate the OP's aux lighting to see farther down road at night, but also dim-able for oncoming traffic. Motorcycle riders in the Iron Butt Association prefer aux lights by a company named, "Clearwater". At over $1100, they are very expensive, but instantly on/off/dim-able, and put out up to 7500 lumens each, 80 percent of which is projected DOWN the road. IBA members often ride coast to coast and back again, to the four corners of USA, etc., within unbelievable time. They often ride over 24 hours straight and want the best lighting available, and Clearwaters are their favorites. With I could afford Clearwaters, but will have to settle for halogens on the Studebaker and the Goldwing. I may someday check out the OP's 100/55 Hellas though.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post

Technically illegal here in Ca. (unless something recently changed) 55/65 is the max. It's not like anybody pays any attention to it though. Plus LED's aren't rated that way so a 55 watt one would be horrendously bright. One reason I hate driving at night these days, these ungodly bright lights literally blind me when they're comming toward me, even from 200ft away on the other side of the freeway. I've never found the standard old sealed beam to be a problem, either comming or going.

Just an aside here... If you're getting on in years and glare from headlights, (and other things), are especially bothersome, this an indicator of developing cataracts. After I bit the bullet and admitted that I had a problem, cataract surgery restored my vision to what it was decades prior...

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post

Just an aside here... If you're getting on in years and glare from headlights, (and other things), are especially bothersome, this an indicator of developing cataracts. After I bit the bullet and admitted that I had a problem, cataract surgery restored my vision to what it was decades prior...
                          Thank you, that is something I'd never heard before. My dad had cataract surgery and that was never mentoined to me. I was a welder for decades, I figured I was just drawn to the light! It didn't really start to bother me until I got glasses ,at 46, but that was also when they went to these new crappy auto light lenses.

Comment

Mr 345 DeSoto: can you provide a schematic of the relays? My wife’s 66 cruiser has a relay install but I think something isn’t right. I have no brights. All I have are dimms and brighter dimms.

Comment

I don't know if your system is a 2 headlight system, but here is what I used... Click image for larger version

Name:	headght  reay.png
Views:	166
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1825106

Comment

Working...
                              X