Noisy Saginaw offset power steering system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Noisy Saginaw offset power steering system

This has me buffaloed, 57 Silver Hawk,Saginaw system, type "B" pump. when turning a rapid fhumping sound occurs as soon as you turn wheel. can be felt slightly in wheel. correct Turner pressure hose but crank pulley set is aluminum Avanti unit and pulley mis match is possible. i suspect the flow control /pressure relief valve but not sure how it works. seems as tho valve is rapidly hopping off its seat causing a spike in hydraulic pressure. P/S works good with quick steering arms and fun to drive, but noise is bugging me! HELP! Doofus.

Over the decades I have had a couple of Saginaw pumps that developed a rapid click/chatter when the engine was at idle, that could also be lightly felt in the steering wheel. Since Saginaw pumps are fairly common (or used to be), I just swapped the pump out, and the problem went away.

Comment

Thanks Joe, looking for a spare now. might try the later model pump,also a fitting setup with a pressure gauge. early pump is a 1.8 Gal. per Hr model. not sure about later models. Doofus

Comment

AFAIK the only difference between early and late model pump is the return line. On the early one, it screws in at the base; on the late one it slips over a nipple on the side of the reservoir. I have substituted one for the other on 56J, and changing the return line was all that was necessary.

Comment

Thanks Joe. swapping to the later model "Roller Pump" was an option but not sure about flow. several spare pumps upstairs,including one with a ball bearing snout. will weigh options and work involved. Thanks again, Doofus

Comment

Obviously I have not listened to this Car, BUT Is there a possibility that because you hear it in the Column, that what is happening is the Stops on the King Pins are hitting too soon in Full Left or Right due to the Tie Rod Length adjustment being incorrect caused by the "Quick Turn" Steering Arms?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
              Thanks Joe. swapping to the later model "Roller Pump" was an option but not sure about flow. several spare pumps upstairs,including one with a ball bearing snout. will weigh options and work involved. Thanks again, Doofus
              When I mentioned early and late pumps, I was talking about type A and B, both Saginaw pumps. Was not talking about Saginaw and Bendix. I am sure you will get'er figured out though!

Comment

Pretty much the difference between the type A and the type B was the later had the return line to the reservoir and the early type was in the pump body.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

StudeRich, the rapid thumping occurs as soon as you begin to turn, lo speed or hi speed. as long as you are turning the "Phantom Thumper" beats that drum. as soon as you start returning to straight ahead it goes away. Thats why i suspect the pump/ flo control valve. Joe i see the difference in pump types and will try the later Bendix roller pump anyway. a better understanding of that flo control valve and its operation would help but so far cant find info. Thanks everybody, Clueless Doofus

Comment

The 55-56 Packards used a Bendix pump, and I once put one on a 56J. It was lighter, worked great, and the belt did not rub against the WP pulley, as the OEM Saginaw pump does. I am willing to bet a Bendix pump will work with your Saginaw gearbox too.

Comment

Working...
                    X