Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this 1961 Hawk Rear Shock mount correct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks: Is this 1961 Hawk Rear Shock mount correct?

I'm wondering if the pictured rear shock mount on my 1961 Hawk is correct. It seems to me that the bolt on the spring mount for the shock is too long????
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Shock.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1823990

It loos like the universal replacement shock mounts sold by parts stores. It will work, IF you also us the washers that come with it. There is a stepped shoulder that the first washer rides against preventing the shock bushing from sliding around on the pin.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

That one is incorrect. What you want is Dorman #31001.Shock Mounting Kit Dorman 31001 #8.3-012320005

Comment

It doesn't look like that Dorman one would space the shock far enough off the spring plate ear to make the lower end of the shock inline with the upper end; much like the existing one.

When I got my '62 it was missaligned just as in your pic but more extreme as there was no spacing off the mounting ear at all, which forced the upper bushing to work its way out of the shock. I made a 1.25" long spacer from 1.25" bar stock and used a longer bolt, it now aligns perfectly and the upper bushing now stays centered as it should. Been great that way for years now.

Comment

[QUOTE=bensherb;n1824031]It doesn't look like that Dorman one would space the shock far enough off the spring plate ear to make the lower end of the shock inline with the upper end; much like the existing one.

When I got my '62 it was missaligned just as in your pic but more extreme as there was no spacing off the mounting ear at all, which forced the upper bushing to work its way out of the shock. I made a 1.25" long spacer from 1.25" bar stock and used a longer bolt, it now aligns perfectly and the upper bushing now stays centered as it should. Been great that way for years now.[/QUOTE

Per the 59-64 Parts Catalog, for 59-62 C/K cars the factory used a 7/16"-20 x 3 1/4" bolt, slipped through the hole in the mount bracket, then a spacer, then through the shock bushing eye, with a nut on the end. The Dorman 31001's equivalent shank measurement is 3 1/8". The Dorman is an improved design; since the spacer is fixed, it provides a more solid anchor onto the mount. The 1/8" short length is not an issue, since both shock bushings are rubber, and designed to flex. Also, by design there is flex, as the rear spring goes up and down and the shock shifts fore and aft. I'd be more concerned with using an extra long bolt, which puts excess leverage on the bolt, at mount base.

I recently removed a worn out (43,000 miles) set of rear Gabriel shocks from the 62GT. Both sides had the Dorman 31001s, and neither shock had shifted on its' bushings, top or bottom. So in fitting the new replacement shocks, I installed new Dorman 31001s, and now looking forward to the next 43,000 miles.
          Last edited by JoeHall; 03-06-2020, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
            Per the 59-64 Parts Catalog, for 59-62 C/K cars the factory used a 7/16"-20 x 3 1/4" bolt, slipped through the hole in the mount bracket, then a spacer, then through the shock bushing eye, with a nut on the end.
            Yep; that's exactly what I have now.

Comment

THANKS for all the info. I think I will go with the Dorman as recommended by Joe. Once again the Forum has proven how valuable it is to those of us with a strong desire but limited knowledge.
              Thanks to all!
              Nick

Comment

Working...
              X