Avanti Wiper Arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Avanti Wiper Arms

How are they removed? Can a parking issue be solved by re-positioning the arms?Click image for larger version

Name:	Wipers.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1823803
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lou Van Anne; 03-04-2020, 03:26 PM.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Sometimes when they park, they go to the bottom like they should, but then park out of place a little higher. If that is your case you do NOT want to lower them, if you do the lowest point of travel will then be across your cowl and scratch the paint. If they don't park correctly, then it is the parking adjustment on the motor. Consult your service manual.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
      Sometimes when they park, they go to the bottom like they should, but then park out of place a little higher. If that is your case you do NOT want to lower them, if you do the lowest point of travel will then be across your cowl and scratch the paint. If they don't park correctly, then it is the parking adjustment on the motor. Consult your service manual.
      They always park in this position.....
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

Reread post #2. If they sweep lower than they park, then it is the parking adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
          Reread post #2. If they sweep lower than they park, then it is the parking adjustment.
          I checked them.....Their wiping pattern is above their park position.....so I think it should work to lower them on the pivot shaft?......what say you?
          Last edited by Lou Van Anne; 03-05-2020, 03:51 PM.
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

Regarding removal, I have a "how-to" post here: https://studeblogger.blogspot.com/20...placement.html

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I agree, Try one notch on the spline. To remove the arm, I have used a seal puller (Craftsman) to ease the arm up off the spline. Be careful to engage only the arm spline and not hook the wiper pivot spline. Pad the body painted surface well. A heavy cardboard such as door panel board works well for this. Gentle leverage pressure with the puller should move the arm up exposing some the pivot spline. If not, don't force it. Re-examine how much engagement you have with the hook end. Lift only on the outer arm pivot shell.
              Others may have better methods. I've always used what was available to me.

Comment

Some of the wiper motors have an adjustment plate for slight relocation of the blades. Loosen the three screws and rotate the plate, fore or aft.

Comment

I have a TRICO wiper assembly that fits the Studebaker with some patent information on the arm and in the patent information there is a British patent number as well as US and Canadian. Where the coincidence occurred, my son purchased a 50s British Riley 1.5 and it has the identical wiper assembly as the Studebaker.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	WiperMtrAfter (1).jpg
Views:	198
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1824469It worked.....lowered the park position by 2 inches.....looks much better!
                    Lou Van Anne
                    62 Champ
                    64 R2 GT Hawk
                    79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                      Good advice.....problem is corrected.....thanks for your input!
                      Lou Van Anne
                      62 Champ
                      64 R2 GT Hawk
                      79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                        Regarding removal, I have a "how-to" post here: https://studeblogger.blogspot.com/20...placement.html
                        Thank You....very helpful!
                        Lou Van Anne
                        62 Champ
                        64 R2 GT Hawk
                        79 Avanti II

Comment

Just so you know, Lisle makes a tool to remove wiper arms from splined cap, cheap to. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                            Just so you know, Lisle makes a tool to remove wiper arms from splined cap, cheap to. Luck Doofus
                            Yeah, that's in my blog post.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                              Surprised the Hxxx out of me but after 40 years they popped off easily.....
                              Lou Van Anne
                              62 Champ
                              64 R2 GT Hawk
                              79 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
                              X