Champ vs Lark 170 OHV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Champ vs Lark 170 OHV

I currently have a 61 Champ with a 170 OHV engine # IE26194. Click image for larger version

Name:	62 Champ engine number.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	1823685 I am able to buy a 170 OHV that came out of a car engine # S247286. Click image for larger version

Name:	Lark 6cyl engine number.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	1823684What are the differences between them, and/or what do I need to do to make this new engine work that may be different?

It appears that our Six Cylinder Engine Serial Number I.D. List here from the SDC Main Page Link, does not go beyond the 1960 Models for some reason.

So I did open my '59 to '64 Chassis Parts Catalog and look up your OHV Six Serial Number I.D.
    S247286 is a 1962 Lark Engine Block.
    You need to check on the Bottom, Right rear of the Block for a spin-on Full Flow Oil Filter because it MAY be a Late '62 with one.
    If it is, it's a Good thing, but check for exhaust Head Pipe Clearance using a Full Size 1 Qt. Oil Filter Like a NAPA Gold FIL1049.

There is very little to No difference between the Two.
    The most important thing will be all about the Clutch Housing, you will need to "Dial Indicate" the center line of your existing Housing to the same of the Crankshaft, of the "New" Car Engine.
    The Truck Housing will be different whether the Trans. TYPE was a match or not.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-03-2020, 10:47 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

As StudeRich says. No difference, but you must dial inidcate the bellhousing to prevent transmission and/or flex plate problems.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
      X