C/K Hood Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
    Serious question. Age and infirmity are makeing it more and more difficult for me to lift the hood on my Sky Hawk. I need to know what the weight of the hood is. Thanks...
    Not a lot of help but I added gas struts to my Avanti hood that I converted to cowl induction so more than doubled the weight. The Hawk hood would be more difficult as it would need to be reinforced. I would think the cylinders would move the hood forward initially as they lift.

It would take some back-yard engineering but possible. I tried calculating weight and cylinder lift and came out about 40% short but the cylinders were cheap and got the second set right.

If you can or know someone that can fabricate inexpensively then it's worth a shot. If you paid someone to do it the cost could be high and the chance of success unknown. A poor job could kink a hood easily.

Bob

Comment

My scale doesn't go high enough so I know it's more than 15 LBS I'm thinking around 25 LBS is about right. Anyway; years ago I used the gas springs from a late 80's Camero lift back to assist and hold up the tilt bed of a Nissan pickup, which was way heavier than that Camero window. The nice thing about those particular gas springs was that they are quite long, yet collapsed to almost half their length, making them very easy to fit. They'd certaily hold the hood up and if placed right shouldn't make it too hard to close.

Comment

i d love to see a definitive answer. i am 70 with one bad arm and it takes two men and a boy to lift.

Comment

The 62GT hood weighs 27.4 pounds. When I get a chance, will weigh the 56J hood, but guessing maybe five pounds more. I placed digital bathroom scales on the floor in front of the bumper and weighed myself, then bent over and raised the hood, then repeated twice more to be sure. It is heaviest about one foot up from the closed position.
          Last edited by JoeHall; 03-14-2020, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
            The 62GT hood weight 27.4 pounds.
            Not too far from the 25 lb guesstimate. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
              The 62GT hood weighs 27.4 pounds. When I get a chance, will weigh the 56J hood, but guessing maybe five pounds more. I placed digital bathroom scales on the floor in front of the bumper and weighed myself, then bent over and raised the hood, then repeated twice more to be sure. It is heaviest about one foot up from the closed position.
              Today I weighed the 56J hood, using same method as for the GT, and the 56J hood weighs 34.2 pounds. So it weighs 6.8 pounds more than the GT hood, likely due to the different grill.
              Last edited by JoeHall; 04-08-2020, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Joe.....

Comment

Working...
                X