I think I need an adapter plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everybody,
    Thanks for the replies. The 66 Daytona two door sport sedan model had a pretty low number of units built- I think I read 620 or so. That's lower than the 64 GT Hawk or 64 Avanti. So I think it pays to restore as close to original as possible. And I think I'll like the 230 six cylinder with Flight-O-Matic just fine. I don't need the extra power from bigger displacement.

And you know, I was surprised that I still see comments about mileage. Back in 1972 when I learned to drive we didn't care about mileage at all. Gas was 34 cents a gallon, and when we'd pull into a station and fill up we'd slap down a five dollar bill and think nothing of it. This in spite of the fact that my income from working at the car wash was only about $40 a week. Then the oil crisis hit in 1973. Gas doubled overnight to 75 cents a gallon, and we were all horrified. Then in 1978 or so phase 2 of the energy crisis hit and gas went to $1.10 a gallon. That's when we went into some kind of psychotic frenzy and all became mileage obsessed. Every automotive decision we made centered around mileage. Some great old Buicks & Oldsmobiles were left to rust by the side of the road because they only got 10 miles to the gallon.

And now the mileage obsession still haunts us to this very day. Well, gas is about $2.30 right now in my neighborhood. If you plug that into an inflation calculator and dial in 1973 it comes out to around 40 cents. Gas is just about as cheap now as it was when we didn't give a damn. I know gas will go up again, but it wont' go up by much- the world is covered now with oil fields and wind mills. So don't worry, be happy. Gas up that old Stude and head down to the old stomping grounds.

Now, a few of you mentioned possible cracks in the frame. Where would I look for those? ...this car is pretty unique as far as rust goes- from the beltline down it's just about the most rust free Stude I've ever owned. The frame looks really good. The trunk is rust free, which is odd because the 64-66 cars always rusted out in the trunk. However, the roof is COMPLETELY rusted out. And I know why- the car had a vinyl roof. I think those things were rust traps in the first degree.

Comment

$2.30 a gallon ! Last time I saw prices like that out here was in 1979! It just dropped below $3.00 here in central Ca. last week and we're ecstatic, it was over $4 a couple years ago. Still $3.50 at our place on the central coast and that's at the cheap station, some are at $4.95.

Comment

That's cuz you are in California. I paid $2.30 a gallon yesterday to fill up my wife's Lexus, and it was ethanol free 100% gas, which is readily available here in OK.

Comment

There was an adapter, #1563831, trans to bell housing, used only on the non-overdrive T-96 transmission found behind 194 six cyl. engines. That may be what you were thinking of.
          "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn View Post
            That's cuz you are in California. I paid $2.30 a gallon yesterday to fill up my wife's Lexus, and it was ethanol free 100% gas, which is readily available here in OK.
            Guess I should move to Ok. It would give me about $900 a year more to spend on car parts, and with real gas would eliminate most of the problems we have.

Comment

Saw E10 here today for $1.60

Comment

Ok, finally got my answer thanks to Claude. For the auto tranny there was no adapter plate. Instead Checker had their own bellhousing to mate the Borg Warner to the Chevy engine. So I need to find that bell housing.... and one last question in case anyone is still reading this thread: my car had a 230 six cylinder & Borg Warner auto. Would that combination have had first gear start?

Comment

Yes, all Sixes had Low Gear Start Transmissions.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                  X