I think I need an adapter plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: I think I need an adapter plate

Hi, I picked up a 66 Daytona Sport coupe. I'm thrilled to death about it. This is my first 'Chevybaker'.

As you might expect, the original engine & transmission are long gone. But, I know it had the 230 six cylinder with Borg Warner
    Flight-O-Matic
    . If I remember right, in order to use the Chevy engines Studebaker had to buy adapter plates from Checker in order to mate up their bell housing to the engines. (Correct me if I'm wrong) So, if I get a
    230 six cylinder will I need to find one of those plates? I've got a bell housing, and I've got a line on a good first gear start Flight-O-Matic. And if I do need a plate, does anybody know where I can find one?

I think I'm going to have to resort to one of those crate engine outfits on the web to get a 230 six cylinder long block. Can any of you recommend one?

thanks

If you buy a crate engine, can you get one in a 292 configuration? The more cubes the better?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

It sounds like an interesting car. Good luck with it. To get off on the right foot, it is a 1966 Daytona Sports Sedan.
      If you are planning on staying with the six (I would), I would also recommend going with a larger displacement six.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If you use a GM 230, 250 or 292 I'd just go with the AOD 700r4/4L60 or 2004r trans. it should bolt right up. If you go with the 292, check hood clearance before spending any money. It has a higher deck height; if I remember right it's about 2" taller, also the passenger side engine mount is in a different location. The 230 and 250 are externally the same.

Comment

You should be able to find an original Studebaker six and automatic from a parts car pretty easily, if you are determined to build the car back to authentic original condition. But a 4.3 liter GM V6 with the 200 4R transmission ought to practically bolt in, if you have the factory engine mount brackets in place. If the car came to you without an engine or transmission, it may have been cannibalized for those brackets alone.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

You are right. Checker did the engineering to adapt the BW transmission to the Chevy engine. I would guess there is a plate between the bellhousing and the engine. But the fitment is the bellhousing and torque converter. Here on the forum 'dannyo' in Springfield may have an engine and transmission package to fit your car. He has parted out a lot of cars.
            sigpic
            Claude Chmielewski
            Studeski
            http://www.studeski.com
            Fillmore, Wisconsin
            47 M-16 Truck
            53 Commander Regal HT
            53 2R5
            60 Lark VIII Convertible
            60 5E7 Champ pickup
            62 5E7 Champ no box
            62 GT Hawk 4 speed
            63 Lark VI parts car
            63 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
            64 Commander Wagonaire
            64 Daytona Convertible
            50 Champion Regal (parts car)
            36 Dictator
            36 Dictator in pieces

Comment

I installed '66 drive train in my '63 and there was no adaptor when I had to replace the Mckinnon engine with a chevy six. The transmission did need a larger bushing for the input as the chevy 6 had a larger crankshaft hole as the Mckinnon. John Metzker fixed me right up.

P.S. the fuel mileage has been really disappointing.

Comment

Don't waste your time with a chev 6. Just put in a v8 and 200r4 or find a Ls motor and trans out of a 2000 up chev pickup.

Comment

If you want to put a Chevy in front of a Stud transmission, Myers ( http://www.myersstudebaker.com/) have what you need.

Warren

Comment

Originally posted by studeski View Post
                    You are right. Checker did the engineering to adapt the BW transmission to the Chevy engine. I would guess there is a plate between the bellhousing and the engine. But the fitment is the bellhousing and torque converter. Here on the forum 'dannyo' in Springfield may have an engine and transmission package to fit your car. He has parted out a lot of cars.
                    Actually, they made a cast-iron Flightomatic bellhousing with the Chevy "gable-end" bolt pattern. I have, or maybe had, a Flightomatic in the barn with that bellhousing on it. It also uses a cable to operate the throttle valve.
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Before thinking about engine possibilities, I would take a good look at your frame. My experiences with ‘65 - ‘66 F-Bodies is they often have a cracked frame, right behind the front crossmember. I have had both 6 cylinder and V-8 cars with this issue.

Comment

It sounds to me like you almost got it already! You have a Flight-O-Matic and a Converter Housing, if they are both from a '65 or '66 Stude. with Oil Cooling and a Cable Throttle Pressure Lever you are good to go, get a Converter from same and the Linkage and Throttle Cable and of course a194, 230 or 283 GM Engine.

No Transmission, Converter Housing or Converter Parts for a Stude. Engine will work with this setup. There was NO "Adapter Plate".
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                          Before thinking about engine possibilities, I would take a good look at your frame. My experiences with ‘65 - ‘66 F-Bodies is they often have a cracked frame, right behind the front crossmember. I have had both 6 cylinder and V-8 cars with this issue.
                          Agree, same problem on K-body Studes, and most I have looked at are cracked there, some worse than others. The good news is, they are all easily repairable. With the motor out, it's a good time to inspect them and repair as needed. A lighter motor would also be a good thing, but not necessary due to frame problems.

Comment

The 66 Daytona is an Awesome Car. eNjOy!

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post

Actually, they made a cast-iron Flightomatic bellhousing with the Chevy "gable-end" bolt pattern. I have, or maybe had, a Flightomatic in the barn with that bellhousing on it. It also uses a cable to operate the throttle valve.
                              Hi Gord,
                              That's kind of what i said. I have one in the shed.
                              Claude
                              sigpic
                              Claude Chmielewski
                              Studeski
                              http://www.studeski.com
                              Fillmore, Wisconsin
                              47 M-16 Truck
                              53 Commander Regal HT
                              53 2R5
                              60 Lark VIII Convertible
                              60 5E7 Champ pickup
                              62 5E7 Champ no box