Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1955 President Sedan 6h needs "bat wing" suspension part.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: 1955 President Sedan 6h needs "bat wing" suspension part.

Seems that part of my car got chopped up while the transmission was being removed. I am seeking a suspension component known as the "bat wing". This helps hold up the tail end of the transmission and runs between the framing members Part no. 1539089 is what I'm looking for. I could use one off an existing car unless it is worse shape than mine. It will have to come another sedan. Thanks for any suggestions or contacts. I've been surfing most of the afternoon and into the evening but I'm not having much luck yet. Just thought maybe someone out there knows of a place that may have this. Also checked with SI as they sometimes have an odd part rattling around somewhere. They'll get back to me in a couple of day, but I'm not really optimistic they'll have it. In the meantime any info would be appreciated. Th in advance.
    cws

It's not clear (to me at least) from the photo what is wrong with yours.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

This was a photo sent to me from the shop. I haven’ seen it myself other than the photo. He said they had to cut part of it off. I’ll be going over there to look at it tomorrow. In the meantime, I’ m trying to get a lead on a replacement part. If there is a chance the old part can be reworked, I’lltry that, if it’s within reason. I know these parts are hard to come by and probably a bit pricey.Sorry for the poor photo quality.

Comment

If this Car is still in it's Original "Stock" condition, with Original Stude. Power train, there would never be ANY logical reason to Cut anything for removal or installation of a Transmission.

If it were mine the FIRST step would be getting the Car out of there!

If on the other hand they are installing a GM Automatic Transmission modification, all they need to do is cut the Center of the frame Crossmember in question out and add a new center piece that dips down below the New Trans.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich
          I was mistaken. (With apologies to Radio Roy, too). One end of the piece was very rusty. They replaced the ends by rebuilding the original piece. Looks like surface rust to me but they rebuilt the ends of the original piece for reassembly in the car. Up till now, this shop has been quite helpful. I question their assessment of "very rusty" vs "surface rust" vs. "typical light corrosion" vs. "sure would be nice to get some more money and then get this outta here"... Sometimes they may mean well, but proceeding without customer approval in a big no no in my book. Got a ways to go here and we'll have to meet on Monday.
          (You're probably right about me getting my the car out of there before anymore creative carnage occurs).
          Thanks for the response.
          We'll be talking on Monday.

Comment

Working...
          X