No announcement yet.

New gas tank install 53 Starliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got it!! I put a vice grip on the tank mount lip and the body mount and drew the tank up just a smidge to expose a couple threads to get the nut on under the spring. Thanks Stephen Allen for the tank, perfect fit!!

Comment

Great ending and information for all of us when wrestling with gas tank issues. Now get her going and start.

Bob Miles

Comment

Filler tube install next. Shop manual says put tube in tank first. There’s no way you can put this tank in with the tube attached.

Comment

Tim texted me that he was able to get the nut on by using a
          vice grip to compress the spring.
          End of saga.

Comment

Bob misunderstood me, it was as I explained in post #16

Comment

How tight should the castle nut be on the spring? Just enough to clear the hole in the bolt for the cotter pin? Thanks as always

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                How tight should the castle nut be on the spring? Just enough to clear the hole in the bolt for the cotter pin? Thanks as always
                Just enough so the cotter pin lines up with the hole, when passed through one of the castle nut slots. That leaves it just a tad below the trunk floor, or if felt pads were used on top, they might even be kissing the trunk floor. Don't need/want it too snug against the trunk floor.

Comment

Another way to measure would be to insure the rear lip of the tank sits parallel along the rearmost frame crossover. The driver's side mount is fixed, so just make sure the passenger side mount is adjusted so the tank sits level, left to right. Again, that will be when the cable nut is tightened just enough for the cottter pin hole to line up.

Comment

Thanks Joe

Comment

Working...
                    X