New gas tank install 53 Starliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: New gas tank install 53 Starliner

Wanted to take advantage of 57 degree weather today to work on my 53 Starliner with garage door open. Attempted to install new gas tank. Hole in driver’s side front 1/2” short to the inside from body mount. Rear driver’s side has two holes in body mount, gas tank has one hole in the center of those two 2” away from body mount. Anyone else have this problem?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tim333; 02-23-2020, 11:40 AM.

You would have to contact Steven Allen to figure out if it's just one reject Tank or what, since obviously "Some" do fit "Some" Cars.
    This should NOT be the place for this discussion.

http://mystudebaker.com/
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Why not discuss it here!!
      The very early 1953 C/K had several things different from the later ones.
      Does the parts list give a clue of different part numbers?
      If someone orders a new tank, shall they worry if they have an early 1953?
      This is the place to discuss these matters.
      Stephan Allen is a very good supplier and I applaud their efforts to reproduce many hard to find parts to keep our cars on the road.

Comment

I would make new body mounts and get on with it! next celebrate the fact that i had a new non rusty non leaking gas tank.Luck Doofus

Comment

The parts book lists 532042 gas tank for all 1953 C/K cars. There are no notes or differentiations between early and late. The same part number is also listed for 1954-55 C/K's.

1956-57 C/K's use 1540201.

1958-64 C/K's use 1544597.

We have the blueprints for all of the above and the only difference between the three part numbers is the fuel pickup line attachments. Otherwise, there is no difference between the tanks whatsoever.

Our guess is that something has been altered on your car sometime in the last 67 years. You may want to verify that you have the correct mounting brackets.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Allen's View Post
            The parts book lists 532042 gas tank for all 1953 C/K cars. There are no notes or differentiations between early and late. The same part number is also listed for 1954-55 C/K's.

1956-57 C/K's use 1540201.

1958-64 C/K's use 1544597.

We have the blueprints for all of the above and the only difference between the three part numbers is the fuel pickup line attachments. Otherwise, there is no difference between the tanks whatsoever.

Our guess is that something has been altered on your car sometime in the last 67 years. You may want to verify that you have the correct mounting brackets.
            Stephen, with a different part numbers for 53-55, theres likely some difference, though I have no idea what it is either. I do have a spare (hoarded) 55 tank, and will drag it out and compare it with the ones on my 56J and two GTs. If I can find any difference will let y'all know here. Either of the two later part numbered tanks can be easily modified for interchange, and I am sure several of us have been there-done that. If there's any difference with the 53-55, I am sure it will be easy to overcome too. One, unrelated difference between the 55-57 tanks and 58-64s is the drain plug, they dropped it in the 58-64s, but the stamp is still in the metal where it used to be.

Stephen thanks sooo much for having the repros made and now available. I tried to talk tanksinc into it several years ago, but they were not interested. I looked your repros over closely at the IM last summer, and they looked like brand new Studebaker gas tanks to me. Thank Goodness! It was reaching a point where folks were looking for, "close enough" brand 'x' tanks to fit. Now any of THOSE required serious mod, so I'd certainly never complain about the repros you had made. I do believe it's OK to bring up problems here, since this is probably the most tech savvy forum on the planet and best source of, "field feedback" to our suppliers. Long as we are not biting the hand that feeds us with a bunch of rants, expletives, etc., I think any discussions here will be helpful to all. It's stopped raining here in Kentucky, so I am gonna go dig that 55 tank out and have a look see.

Thanks Again Stephen!
            Joe Hall

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post

Stephen, with a different part numbers for 53-55, theres likely some difference, though I have no idea what it is either.
              The difference is in the pickup line. '53-55 has a threaded bung fitting, '56-57 uses a pickup tube in the sending unit, '58-64 uses a barbed slip-on fitting on the tank for a rubber hose.

Mounting holes are the same on all of them.

Thanks!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	CBD7C593-3C41-47CE-95F2-31233F672913.jpeg
Views:	302
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1822537Update: I looked in the parts book and it appears my car is missing the driver’s side rear bracket. My old tank must have been mounted directly to the frame in the bracket holes. I realized this after talking with Stephen and takings some pics for him. I wasn’t trying to trash Stephen, just trying to see if anyone else had a problem with install. I appreciate all Stephen and Matt do for us. Heck, maybe when I removed the old tank I did so by unbolting the bracket from the frame. If the bracket is still on the old tank it’s long gone in the trash.
                Last edited by tim333; 02-24-2020, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Allen's View Post

The difference is in the pickup line. '53-55 has a threaded bung fitting, '56-57 uses a pickup tube in the sending unit, '58-64 uses a barbed slip-on fitting on the tank for a rubber hose.

Mounting holes are the same on all of them.

Thanks!
                  Stephen,
                  Just in from the garage and a comparison, and that's exactly what I was preparing to say here. The 53-55 mount holes are in the exact same location as 56-64. Further, the bottom side even has the same rib count (did not check top side since the other tank is in the car). Also, the fuel gauge sender is same, since a 56-64 gasket fits. So the repro tank is, essentially, a carbon copy of the original. I agree with you, the OP's car has likely been modified at some point over the decades.

As for minute differences: The 53-55 also has a drain plug, as does the 56-57, but the 58-64 does not. If a person was concerned with being, "judged" on a 53-57 car, the drain plug could easily be transferred from old tank to the new repro, as could the different fuel supply line connector (or soldered over for 56-57, which used a line coming through the sender).

Obviously, the most versatile/preferable version of the three part numbers is the latest one, which you had made; it's an easier install, no drain plug equals one less possible leak location, and the noted fuel connector line differences are easily switchable.
                  Thanks Again,
                  Joe Hall

Comment

Joe, I was composing an update at the same time you posted your comments.

Comment

This should be a lesson in practicality for all of us. If we encounter a problem with any part we purchase from anyone, we should go to the vendor first to see what may needed to be done to fix the problem. Then when the problem is satisfied, post for other members knowledge of the problem AND the solution. I am sure this will resolve any misunderstanding and have full use of the resources of our vendors. Feel free to PM me if you agree or disagree.

Bob Miles

Comment

I agree Bob but it was a Sunday and I was hoping someone may have had a similar problem and could help. This forum is unmatched when it comes to getting technical help.

Comment

Unbelievable end to this story. I had the bracket lying on my bench, didn’t remember what it was for. Normally I bag everything I take apart, I had all the nuts, bolts, spring and cotter pin bagged marked “53 gas tank mounts.” I honestly don’t remember taking that bracket off. I went to Bob Kapteyn’s place, he had a 56J sitting there with a hole in the trunk floor where I could look right down at the bracket. The bolts were too rusty then to remove the bracket so I took an impression on a piece of paper. The longer I looked it became familiar. I told Bob, “I think I have one at home.” Sure enough!!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                            This should be a lesson in practicality for all of us. If we encounter a problem with any part we purchase from anyone, we should go to the vendor first to see what may needed to be done to fix the problem. Then when the problem is satisfied, post for other members knowledge of the problem AND the solution. I am sure this will resolve any misunderstanding and have full use of the resources of our vendors. Feel free to PM me if you agree or disagree.

Bob Miles
                            Not a PM, though I agree with talking to the vendor first, but believe the results should be made public, regardless of good or bad outcome. In this case, anyone who reads this tread will be doubly assured about the fit of the recently available repro tanks, and know they can buy with confidence. On the other hand, if I blow a repro power steering hose after 11 miles, and determine it was due to offshore crimping, and flimsy metals, that would be illegal in the USA, I'd wanna know if anyone else has had similar experiences. Others' experiences and outcomes would weigh heavily on my choices on how to go about replacing the failed hose. In the long run, isolating and hushing quality problems serves no good purpose for anyone, customer or vendor.

Comment

Ok, tank is almost in. Trying to put passenger side bolt in with the spring. Trying to put spring on but it’s flush with the end of the bolt with no threads exposed to start threading the nut. What’s the purpose of the spring anyway? I put the nut on without the spring to draw the bolt all the way down then supported the tank and took the nut off to try and get enough room for the spring. Any tips?

Comment

Working...
                              X