Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

89-90's Lincoln 15x6.5 wheels on 53 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels: 89-90's Lincoln 15x6.5 wheels on 53 Commander

I know the subject of wheels has been beat to death. Thinking of a set of these for my 53 Commander hard top. They are cheap and plentiful, normally about $25 a wheel. If I curb rash one, it will be easy to replace. I figured I could find some kind of Studebaker emblem to replace the Lincoln emblem in the cap. Heck, maybe even find a good vinyl stick on and just sticker over the Lincoln emblem. My radial tires are black wall.

I have a chance to buy a set of 5, caps included. They aren't right next door, but not too far away, and close to a friend I would like to go visit.

I had thought I could find some vintage 5 spoke Torque Thrust, or the like, but they are either very rough or very expensive. I like the idea of a factory made alloy (or at least made to factory specs) as some of the aftermarket wheels are hit and miss.

Don't be afraid to be brutal. Looking for opinions. If anyone has a pic of a 53 with these wheels (not likely I know) that would be awesome. Or, if someong knows how to photoshop (I don't), and wants to post some pics that would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

I have seen those wheels mounted on a 63GT, owned by Jim C., a member here, and they are strikingly beautiful. A precaution with older aluminum wheels though is that the beads tend to pit, and cause slow air leaks. I recently experienced this on family members' 2000 Buick Park Ave and 2005 Lexus. In both cases I successfully doctored them with thorough cleaning and slathering with, "ExTra Seal Bead Sealer", which is made for this problem. So inspect the beads carefully before you pay. If the pits are too bad, the sealer won't work.

Also, look for 3.75" backspace. Most 6" or wider wheels, with more than 3.75", have clearance problems, especially the front, with 215 or wider tires when steered all the way, left or right. Good luck and please post some pix when you mount them!

Comment

I don't think they would look good on a modified 53 up to early Hawks. Maybe on a 53 with all the original brightwork, and the square top hawks. Just my opinion.

Comment

There's a set on a 64 in this thread.https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....115#post270115

I like the 16s that FoMoCo used on later cars because they look deeper and use a small cap but the ones you're thinking about could be good for the money. Are they 15" ?

Comment

Here's the GT mentioned above, the guy says they are 16" wheels though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	StudeWheels001.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1821454

I've put 2015-2019 Ford Mustang 17"x 7.5" wheels om my GT. They were cheap and with new tires. They fit well but probably not as simply as the Crown Vic units. I made the center caps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1056a.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	1821455
          Torque Thrust D wheels can be had new for $111 each at Summit Racing. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-vn1055661
          sigpic

Comment

It's too bad a lot of neat Pics like on that Pre-New Format, Old Post you linked have those terrible, non-viewable PhotoBucket Pics.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yes, they are 15's. I already have brand new 15 inch radial tires, so it makes more sense to go 15 inch wheels. The steel wheels on my 53 have enough pits in the rims, that I can't keep air in two of the tires.

You are right Rich; photobucket screwed over a bunch of folks with their "free" picture hosting that suddenly became not so free.

As much memory as these new computers have (and as cheap as a terabyte of external storage costs) I see no reason to use a third party picture hosting service. Even our daughter, who is a professional photographer, just buys additional storage for pics.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                It's too bad a lot of neat Pics like on that Pre-New Format, Old Post you linked have those terrible, non-viewable PhotoBucket Pics.
                That's weird, on my tablet they don't have that blurry or watermark stuff but my netbook does.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                  Here's the GT mentioned above, the guy says they are 16" wheels though.
                  No such thing!

Click image for larger version  Name:	StudeWheels001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.8 KB ID:	1821454
                  E8VY-1007-A .. Wheel-Wire Design 15" x 6.50" / Obsolete

1988/90 Lincoln Town Car.

No Lincoln had 16" wheels after 1948.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                    E8VY-1007-A .. Wheel-Wire Design 15" x 6.50" / Obsolete

1988/90 Lincoln Town Car.

No Lincoln had 16" wheels after 1948.
                    I do not believe that to be true. I believe that the standard wheel on a 1992 Lincoln Mark VII was 16 inch. I think that there are others, I just didn't look into it.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have a set of the Lincoln 15" alloy wires and plan to use them with blackwall radials. The backspacing is perfect - same as the Ford steel 15x5.5 rims I have on the car now. A machinist buddy up the road is making me five aluminum center cap inserts with machined-in lazy S logos to replace the glued-in Lincoln inserts of the center caps. Here's a picture of a SDC member's GT with a set mounted. The 16" Ford wires in post #9 look good also but I decided to stay with 15" wheels.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wh22366 View Post
                        I have a set of the Lincoln 15" alloy wires and plan to use them with blackwall radials. The backspacing is perfect - same as the Ford steel 15x5.5 rims I have on the car now. A machinist buddy up the road is making me five aluminum center cap inserts with machined-in lazy S logos to replace the glued-in Lincoln inserts of the center caps. Here's a picture of a SDC member's GT with a set mounted. The 16" Ford wires in post #9 look good also but I decided to stay with 15" wheels.
                        Are you able to use the original wheel studs with the thicker aluminum wheels, or are they too short for the thicker wheels?
                        Last edited by JoeHall; 02-17-2020, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post

Are you able to use the original wheel studs with the thicker aluminum wheels, or are they too short for the thicker wheels?
                          In my case with the Mustang wheels, the stock studs were fine.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X