Trunk lid hinges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk lid hinges

I just got a set of trunk lid hinges with springs. Mine on the trunk are worn so that when I lift or close the lid it clunks off to one side. It has chiped some paint off the edge of the lid. So I had a chance to pull a set off a '61 Hawk that work fine.
    Any one have any suggestions for puting these on with out too much of a problem with alignment?
    Thanks again.

John Ratliff

Suggestion:

Before you start, put protection all around your trunk.

Then, mark the sides of the old hinge with removeable marker or tape along the sides.

Have friends available to hold lid open while you undo and redo the hinges quickly with a socket.

Hopefully, the old hinges were properly positioned. Even if they were not, the old positions are probably a good starting point for alignment.

Paul

Comment

It's not a adjustment issue, the pivots are worn, thus the pop.

JDP/Maryland
      Please vote for Sid (64GT)in the NYT contest.
      http://collectiblecars.nytimes.com/Contest/
      JDP Maryland

Comment

I have a 63 Hawk. The trunk lid closes with a vengence. I find this to be a very hazardous set-up, do all the Hawk trunk lids drop and slam shut like this? On most car makes the lid usually stops a couple of inches before closing, kept open by spring action, then you just simply give it a push to close. Is mine missing something?
        BrianC

Comment

As Paul said,that will be your start in the right direction.take your time and go for it.

Joseph R. Zeiger
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Brian, That's typical of GT Hawks. Once past about 45 degrees of closure the lid will drop under its weight and click shut.

Comment

I'm working on the Purple Hawk's lid hinges right now. I took one apart, reamed the holes out to the next size that I could get new dowel pins for (5/16) installed them using a small washer tach welded to the ends and have it in the oven after powdercoating. Will see how it works out.
              64 Champ long bed V8
              55/53 Studebaker President S/R
              53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

I'm working on the Purple Hawk's lid hinges right now. I took one apart, reamed the holes out to the next size that I could get new dowel pins for (5/16) installed them using a small washer tach welded to the ends and have it in the oven after powdercoating. Will see how it works out.
                Let me know how the hinge works out. I did the same. Drilled out to 5/16 with new dowls. Did not weld on washers just splayed the ends over with a cold chisel. They are better but now wont pull the trunk lid down all the way in the front. Still some slop in the hinge. Don't know if the springs are streched and lost their tention.

John Ratliff

Comment

Working...
                X