Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1964 Heater Control Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 1964 Heater Control Valve

I just got a new heater control valve for my '64 Daytona V8. I took my old one out 12 years ago when I started my restoration. I's not sure if the hose that goes from the engine to the value is from the top of the water pump housing or the one on the side. I think it was the top, but want to make sure. I also don's know what to do with a brass tube that comes from the valve. Is it just loose under the dash? What does it do?

Thanks.

T-Cab

The "Ranco" Valve is a Automatic Valve when in any control position between Full ON and Full Off. So the Bourbon Tube allows it to Control the Cabin Temp. automatically.
    Route it along the Cardboard Glove Box liner and it may have a small clip near the end to fasten it to the box or anything softer and warmer than Steel so it does not rattle. It may reach to the Def. /Floor Air Distribution Fiberglass Duct to be secured.

Once you understand which way the Flow in the Block and Heads goes, it is easy to know where the Hose goes.
    You are correct, the Top Water Manifold Fitting is the Hottest Water returning to the Radiator to be cooled so it MUST go to the Valve to be controlled.

There are LOTS of '59/'60 Lark and Champ Truck owners out there, not as smart as you!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	59Lark1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.0 KB ID:	1821094Click image for larger version  Name:	61 Champ2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	1821095Click image for larger version  Name:	62 Champ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.7 KB ID:	1821097Click image for larger version  Name:	60Lark.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.1 KB ID:	1821098
    Click image for larger version  Name:	63 Champ3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	1821100 I COULD go on, but I think you get it.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-14-2020, 12:15 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Guess they didn't like Bourbon! Thanks Stude Rich for the morning chuckle! Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        The "Ranco" Valve is a Automatic Valve when in any control position between Full ON and Full Off. So the Bourbon Tube allows it to Control the Cabin Temp. automatically.
        Route it along the Cardboard Glove Box liner and it may have a small clip near the end to fasten it to the box or anything softer and warmer than Steel so it does not rattle. It may reach to the Def. /Floor Air Distribution Fiberglass Duct to be secured.

Once you understand which way the Flow in the Block and Heads goes, it is easy to know where the Hose goes.
        You are correct, the Top Water Manifold Fitting is the Hottest Water returning to the Radiator to be cooled so it MUST go to the Valve to be controlled.

There are LOTS of '59/'60 Lark and Champ Truck owners out there, not as smart as you!
        Click image for larger version Name:	59Lark1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.0 KB ID:	1821094Click image for larger version Name:	61 Champ2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	1821095Click image for larger version Name:	62 Champ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.7 KB ID:	1821097Click image for larger version Name:	60Lark.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.1 KB ID:	1821098
        Click image for larger version Name:	63 Champ3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	1821100 I COULD go on, but I think you get it.
        Rich, are you saying all the Studes in the pics you show are plumbed backwards?

Comment

Isn't it obvious? I have MORE!

There is NO WAY to turn the Heat OFF!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
            Guess they didn't like Bourbon! Thanks Stude Rich for the morning chuckle! Luck Doofus
            I am sure that he meant Bourdon tube. I also got a laugh out of it (I like Bourbon.).
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
            X