Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Electrical: clock quartz conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo/Tach/Gauges: Electrical: clock quartz conversion

Has anyone had a 6 volt ('51 Champion) clock converted to quartz? I have contacted 2 companies. One said $500.00, the other said NO.

Try "the clock works" at 1-800-398-3040 in Eagle Falls Wisconsin. They specialize in repair and conversions. Nice people to do business with.

Comment

They were the one that said no. Couldn't do it. I found a company in the San Diego area that will take it on for about $250.

Comment

I have had quartz conversions completed by Williamson's Instruments, Chester, AR with good results but don't remember the cost. Chet

Comment

Try Palo Alto Speedometer in... Palo Alto, CA.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

How about the inexpensive approach? Clean, adjust and dress the contacts and use a very light lubricant on bearing points and use the clock as built/intended.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

... so you'd rather fix than switch?
              Pretty radical!

Comment

Palo Alto wanted $500. I only want to take the clock out once. The best way to insure that happens is to convert it. Just my opinion.

Comment

"Palo Alto wanted $500. I only want to take the clock out once. The best way to insure that happens is to convert it."

I paid way less to someone local but my thought process was the same. Take it out once and be done with it. I did clean it and lubricate ONCE and I loved just watching the movement after it sparked, but then it quit and I decided, "One & done." Same as having just one kid.
                  "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
                  R.W. Emerson

Comment

Touche' monsieur

Comment

I ended up cleaning and repairing myself. I also modified the clock so that the contact's current is vastly reduced so they last forever. If you're going to tackle it yourself, I have two points: the escapement wheel shaft ends are VERY fragile and use a good non-flowing clock oil. The modification was to add a MOSFET transistor to carry the current but still use the contacts to trigger the MOSFET. This is how I did it:

https://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/20...provement.html
                      1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
                      See rescue progress here on this blog:
                      http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Post #2---That is Eagle River not Eagle Falls.

Comment

it's off to the shop near San Diego.

Comment

Please keep us informed on how things turn out with the clock. I have a couple of the 6-volt clocks that do not work.
                            Charlie D.

Comment

For 500$ I’d be content to have the clock not working (but still absolutely correct twice a day).

Comment

Working...
                              X