Type of transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Type of transmission

I purchased a 1951 Commander Starlight coupe with a 259 V8 engine. I need the transmission rebuilt but cannot determine the model of transmission due to the numbers on the tag cannot be discerned except the last four which appear to be 8878. The transmission is air cooled and the pipe to add fluid is in the engine compartment next to where engine oil is added. Can someone provide the type/model of the transmission?
    Thanks.

What color is the transmission dip stick? Is there any paint left on the tag? What is the engine number? Are you able to take any photos?
    So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

Comment

If it has an engine compartment dip stick, it is not an original DG transmission (that the car would have come with), unless it has been modified for this feature (unlikely). The transmission probably came along with the engine now in the car. What year is the engine block from?
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Assuming the engine and transmission were swapped in as a unit, it's probably a Flightomatic. If the car has been converted to 12 volt electrics, that's most likely the case. If the car is still six volts, then it might be a 259 from a '55 President, with a DG250 transmission on it.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The underhood fill (used on '61 & on Larks and '62 & on Hawks) plus the "259" replacing the Original 232, makes it pretty certain that it has a Borg Warner Flight-O-matic, most used with V8's are 3 Speeds and have 2nd. Gear Starts in Drive.

The Engine Number will tell us what Year and C.I.D. the Engine actually is.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
            Assuming the engine and transmission were swapped in as a unit, it's probably a Flightomatic. If the car has been converted to 12 volt electrics, that's most likely the case. If the car is still six volts, then it might be a 259 from a '55 President, with a DG250 transmission on it.
            As I stated, not a DG ( with fill tube). Many V8 engines and/or transmissions (removed from 12V cars) have been installed in cars that remain six volts.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The engine numbers on my 1951 V8 Commander Starlight coupe are: top of block on right side E629; top of block on left side 3 with 527644 below. The dip stick had been pained black and the car had been converted to 12 volt.

Comment

I thought we explained this to you previously, that the Number you are looking for that matters on a '51 or '52 V8 Block is next to the Distributor in the Driver's Side Rear, and each Engine had to be individually STAMPED into the Cast Iron for a Individual Engine Serial Number.

All of the Numbers you found are "RAISED" in the Casting of ALL Blocks, so all they I.D. is the Mold used.

On later blocks 1953 to 1964 it will be here:
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

There is no number at that location that I can find. Also I failed to mention that the motor has a 4 barrel carb.

Comment

527644 is the engine block casting number used from 1951-54. The other number is a date code. You have a 1951 engine that was originally 232 cubic inches. So maybe it's been bored to 259 and maybe not.
                    As Rich said, look for a STAMPED engine serial number near the distributor.
                    So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

Comment

Working...
                    X