Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Edsel Face View Post
    Yes, the old one is 1015N. I just received a 1015P.
    Thank you for the information. Those are six volt vibrators.

Are they heavy, or are they so light that they feel like empty cans?

I have had the heavy ones fail and I do NOT recommend installing a heavy one. I have a radio on the bench right now where the vibrator failed and took out the power switch.

Unless there is a newer version out, the light weight ones will fail instantly with reversed polarity,

There has to be an interesting story about the history of this particular radio. I wonder if anyone knows.

Please let us know how things progress.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 02-09-2020, 07:57 AM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Stupid me. It says six volts right on it. It is very light in weight. I can tell you some of the history. The Studebaker - Philco onwers manual, which was in the box containing the radio, was mailed in 2002 to Dennis Napier, the owner of the car (G1042547) at the time. It was serviced by Bud in 2005. I don't know if the radio was ever installed, but I doubt it. I guess it just followed the car around. It came with the car that I purchased last month from the person who bought it from Dennis Napier.

Comment

If you have a 1015N vibrator then the radio is for sure a 6 volt unit. I'm wondering why a negative ground vibrator was installed as I install a 1015P vibrator in those radios. It is possible that Dan had a request for a a radio that was set up for a negative ground system, the prospective buyer never bought the radio and it went back on the shelf with the 1015N vibrator installed. Anyway it is a good thing you checked as the negative ground vibrator would have gone up in smoke in short order. Bud

Comment

Hard to tell what was going on. Good to hear from you. It's been a few years.

Comment

If there was a 1015N vibrator installed in the radio when it was originally shipped, then the radio is a 6 volt unit. Why there was a negative ground vibrator installed in your radio is a mystery to me. Bud

Comment

Has the radio been fired up on the bench yet? Curious as to how it performs.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Will try to do that this coming week and let you know.

Comment

Well, it has been two weeks and some of us are still curious as to how well the radio works.

Comment

Hi, I haven't forgot about you. The car is in the shop having had the steering box pulled and sent to be rebuilt. It was full of water. I asked the mechanic if he would bench test the radio and for some reason he was reluctant to do that. There may be a place locally that can do it for me. Worst case scenario is it might be a couple of weeks until I get the car back.

Comment

"I asked the mechanic if he would bench test the radio and for some reason he was reluctant to do that."

He probably doesn't have a 6V battery or power supply OR is reluctant to do something wrong and damage it (and be held for damage$).

These radios take a bit of current and a 6V bench supply that puts out enough power is not a trivial item. They will take anywhere form 6-9A or so depending on if they base or delux radio (how many tubes it has).

Jeff in ND

Comment

IT WORKS! I had it bench tested at Bob's Radio & TV in Oceano. The push buttons don't do their thing but that's not important. Serviced by Bud and been in a box for 15 years. Bob said he used to repair radios for Dan Skidmore years ago. Small world.

Comment

It's likely that the pushbutton mechanism has gummed up from dis use and sitting in a box for 15 years. If you feel confident about opening up the front of the radio, you can lube the tuning mechanism with something like PB Blaster or Aero Kroil which should free up the pushbutton mechanism. Just be careful with the speaker wires as they can sometimes become disconnected if you aren't careful and don't over do it with the lube. Bud

Comment

By the front, are you referring to the panel on the bottom where the tuning buttons are?

Comment

No, The speaker grille will have to be removed in order to get at the tuning assembly which will be visible with the speaker removed. Bud

Comment

Working...
                              X