Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 Rando
    replied
    Thanks for the offer, I was able to wrestle it in position. I found getting in the trunk did help . Used a pair of vice grips on the end of the rod to add leverage and was able to twist it in place. Hope I never have to do that again.

Leave a comment:

• dpson
    replied
    The shop drawing photo triggered an old memory of one of the tools, J-9597, that came out of Archie Myers' Studebaker dealership.

If someone would like to borrow it send me a PM.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Studebaker Torsion Rod Tool.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.8 KB ID:	1819577

Leave a comment:

• Studebakercenteroforegon
    replied
    In my younger days I would have someone hold the trunk up high as it went, or even prop it up with a suitable length of wood, and then lay on my back in the trunk, unload the tension on the rod with one hand, and use the other hand to place the end in the desired notch - no tools needed. I haven’t done this in a while and I’m sure I could still do it. The only question is whether I could lift myself out of the trunk!

Leave a comment:

• 56 Rando
    replied
    Thanks, Yeah, you have to have some kind of tool to hold the bar and provide enough leverage to twist the rod. Great system as long as you don't have to mess with it.

Leave a comment:

• fatboylust
    replied
    I've done them on my 64 Daytona hood and I agree with your assessment. So someone to hold the truck lid and adapt a tool to provide enough mechanical advantage. Here is a picture of Studebaker's special tool and note they are using it from the back seat with not package tray or X bracing.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunk Torsion bar tool.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	1819457

Leave a comment:

• 56 Rando
    started a topic Body / Glass: Trunk lid torsion rods

Trunk lid torsion rods

I'm trying to install the torsion rods for the trunk lid on a 62 Lark. Anyone done this and have any tips? They are a real PITA.
Working...
X