Hydro-Vac booster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Hydro-Vac booster

I'm helping a friend go thru the brakes on his '56 Golden Hawk. We've replaced the wheel cylinders, rubber hoses and master cylinder (linings in good shape) and today when we attempted to bleed the system it became apparent that brake fluid was not getting thru the Hydro-Vac unit (the car hasn't been driven in about 30 years). We will get the Hydro-Vac unit rebuilt and my question is what is the proper bleeding sequence? I see two bleeder screws on the Hydro-Vac. Should we bleed at the Hydro-Vac first (before the wheels) and in what sequence do we bleed the two screws on the Hydro-Vac. Thanks in advance.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

After the MC, I bled the HV next; top bleeder, then lower one, then wheel cylinders, then come back and bleed the HV again.

Comment

Thanks Joe. Just to be 100 percent certain, by the 'top' bleeder on the HV, you mean the one toward the rear of the car, correct?
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
        Thanks Joe. Just to be 100 percent certain, by the 'top' bleeder on the HV, you mean the one toward the rear of the car, correct?
        Yes, that is correct. That's the way I have done it.

Comment

Joe is 100% correct!

Comment

Joe is always correct. Thanks again Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
              Joe is always correct. Thanks again Joe.
              I wish, but I still need to show this to my wife. LOL

Comment

Howard,
                He is something you may wish to try first. In the past I have been successful in freeing up a booster which has been sitting for a long time. I liberally soak the mesh screen with WD40 or another quality penetrant and slowly push on the brake pedal (a helper is exactly that so you don't have to be in two places at once) and can actuate the pedal while spraying. It's worth a try if it works.
                Luck,
                Bill

Comment

Working...
                X