Water pump for 1935-37 Studebaker President 8 wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Water pump for 1935-37 Studebaker President 8 wanted

I'm looking for a water pump from a 1935-37 President 8 or 1935 Commander 8, p/n 184113. The pump body will have a casting number close to 184105. I also need the flex coupling between the water pump and generator, at least the little flange that goes on the pump shaft. In addition, I'm looking for a clutch release shaft, p/n 189255, a 1937-only part. The shaft is 3/4" dia. x 12" long with two keyways.

I admit that I did already post this in the For Sale/Wanted section of the Forum, but since there are 10 times as many "guests" as registered members on the site, most people will never see the posts in that section because only members may view there. I have also posted on the Antique Studebaker Club part of the AACA Forum.

Here is what the pump and coupling look like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump-Tom Lewis 1935.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1819091

Attached Files
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

I wish you luck, on your search. I'm guessing these parts are few, and far between. That said, it's amazing what shows up sometimes. Maybe that is part of the "fun" of building a pre war car.

Comment

Have you reached out to Robt. Kapetyn?
      KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Yes, I've tried all the major vendors and some of the minor ones, turned up some of the other small pre-war parts I needed, but no water pump. I know someone must have 3 or 4 old 1935-1937 President 8 engines sitting in a barn somewhere, just have to figure out who it is. I've emailed about a dozen SDC and ASC members who have cars of that vintage. I've been busy today machining the little flange I need from a 1"x1" bar of steel. Lots of chips! Not beautiful, but will be functional once I take it to the local machine shop to have them broach a keyway in it.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by garyash; 02-02-2020, 03:39 PM.
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

If originality is not a requirement, can you use one of the couplings that Nash and Rambler used?
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
            I'm looking for a water pump from a 1935-37 President 8 or 1935 Commander 8, p/n 184113. The pump body will have a casting number close to 184105. I also need the flex coupling between the water pump and generator, at least the little flange that goes on the pump shaft. In addition, I'm looking for a clutch release shaft, p/n 189255, a 1937-only part. The shaft is 3/4" dia. x 12" long with two keyways.

I admit that I did already post this in the For Sale/Wanted section of the Forum, but since there are 10 times as many "guests" as registered members on the site, most people will never see the posts in that section because only members may view there. I have also posted on the Antique Studebaker Club part of the AACA Forum.

Here is what the pump and coupling look like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump-Tom Lewis 1935.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1819091

Clutch release shaft. May be a 12 inch piece of PTO drive shaft might work. It has a key way the hole leight.

Comment

The coupling in that picture looks a lot like GM steering rag coupling..... That Pump looks rebuildable, have you talked to your machinist?

Comment

Unfortunately, the photo of the water pump isn't my pump, it's just to illustrate what I'm looking for. Yes, the "rag joints" all look very similar. New flexible discs for Studebaker rag joints are available from John Cislak at Classic Auto Restoration in Indian Orchard, MA. Cislak specializes in Pierce Arrows, but the 1930s Pierces share many parts with Studebakers of the time, much as Pierce guys don't like to admit it - the late Bill Cannon published a very detailed list of common parts. And, yes, Diesel Jim, I can get a new clutch shaft machined from about $6 worth of 3/4" cold drawn 1018 round bar. I think too many of the pre-war parts vanished in WWII and Korean War scrap drives. I was told that there is a 1935 Studebaker in a junk yard in central Maine, but it will be late spring before the snow there melts enough to get to it, then it's just mud and black flies to deal with...
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

'48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

Gary: I dug the Overdrive for my 2R5 out of a Louisiana Swap junk yard (Super Mud). I was told I had 4 hours and they were crushing it the next day....
                  I was humping it, but got it all.... Had to take my clothes to the laundry mat, there was no washing that at home...

even got a couple springs, a fender and some other stuff.... glad I got the matching driveshaft as well.

O.D. after I tore it down, cleaned and inspected it was fine. Still is.

Comment

Working...
                  X