Auto trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Auto trans

Problem installing auto trans into torque converter 1953 232 Commander. Goes in until the last 1/8 inch, then keeps engine from turning. Followed shop manual procedure, without fixture called out. Suggestions?

Sounds like a Problem with the fit of the Torque Converter center "Nub" to the Bronze Pilot Bushing in the Crankshaft.

UPDATE:
    A damaged Pilot Bushing, wrong I.D. etc. This only applies if you were having Converter to Engine issues... NOT.

I guess I am having trouble getting Standard Transmissions OUT of my head!
    On an Automatic, if the Transmission Front Pump and Input Shafts will not enter the Torque Converter all the way, there are only two possible reasons for that.

(1) The Trans. Front Oil Pump Drive "Tangs" are not lined up (actually Misaligned) with the Mating ones in the Convertor.

(2) There is Damage to one or the other.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-30-2020, 02:56 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

What Rich said plus possibly misalignment of the transmission/torque convertor/engine. If you have tried to force the fit, you have likely damaged the pilot bearing/bushing.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Darrellbrink63 View Post
        Problem installing auto trans into torque converter 1953 232 Commander. Goes in until the last 1/8 inch, then keeps engine from turning. Followed shop manual procedure, without fixture called out. Suggestions?
        I have the spline alignment tool if you want to borrow it with a deposit.
        Robert Kapteyn
        studebaker@mac.com

Comment

I am amazed Bob how you and others Find these Year Old, sometimes Many Years Old Posts, I am pretty sure you didn't search for Trans. not fitting Torque Converter.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
          X