Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: fuel filter location

where is the fuel filter on 1960 hawk?

It should be in the fuel line, either on the input side of the fuel pump, or between the fuel pump and the carburetor.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Or a glass bowl on the fuel pump!- Jim

Comment

thanks guys but its not there. fuel line from pump to carb is a solid line . can i cut it and install in line with rubber hose?

Comment

The filter is ceramic and located in the glass sediment bowl on the fuel pump. If your car has been molested then?????? If you are going to install an in line fuel filter DO NOT put it between the fuel pump and the carb; this offers no protection to the fuel pump. Put an in line filter between the tank and the pump so you'll have filtered gas going to the pump. My son, the jet engine mechanic, says use a clear plastic on so you can see the crude in it and know when to change it. Seems logical.

Comment

You MAY have the Later Type Original Carter Fuel Pump with a "Tin" Bowl on the bottom of the Pump, and THAT Filter Element is a Cardboard (Cellulose) material.

Many "Replacement Fuel Pumps" (Airtex) however, do not HAVE any lower "Bowl" and Filter at all, so you must protect the small Valving in the Pump with a Filter between the Pump and Tank.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Also, if you use a clear plastic inline, be aware that ethanol will eat through some older production. I found that out when I had a nice bonfire in my van a few years ago! They make a nice glass filter with replaceable element for hot rods, Auto- Zone carries them.- Jim

Comment

An old time mechanic friend of mine told me it's better if the fuel pump is sucking the fuel through the filter instead of pushing it. Cheers Harryhawk

Comment

I have 10 fuel pumps that I got with an engine purchase they are all substantial looking and feeling pumps however there is no brand name on them just "MADE IN CANADA" and "MADE IN USA" cast on them. All of them suck the fuel from the tank in through a brass screen. The fuel enters the bowl directly and then it is sucked up through a brass screen in to the pump. The brass screen is held in place with a cork gasket. These pumps an be configured in various ways many of the parts are interchangeable the main assembly is fitted with 6 machine screws however there 6 additional predrilled holes some are threaded and some are blank.
                  They are fitted with four components , top actuating arm, pump and diaphragm assembly, a center space section and a metal bowl on the bottom, The center space section is pre drilled with two small holes to hold a bale wire and glass bowl. The fine brass screen will not let water through and therefore will settle in the bottom of the glass or metal bowl of the pump, the bowls, glass or metal should be removed from time to time and cleaned. The glass bowl enables you to see what is in it however on some Studebaker models the steering arm conflicts with the glass bowl. I purchased the glass bowls and bales from a local tractor supply, the same pumps and bows are also used on some tractors. I also have three new Airtex pumps and they are far less substantial in general weight and casting thickness than all the other pumps. The Airtex pumps have no screen or filter of any kind just a rubber gasket that is most likely not alcohol compatible. When I got the pumps all the diaphragms were cracked, hard and non-working, I was able to purchase a quantity of kits and replace all the inner component and diaphragms. The rivets had to be pressed out with some care so that they could be replaced. I have tested several of the pumps standing on a ten foot ladder with a rubber hose attached to the suction port in to a container of solvent and about 5 or 6 strokes on the actuating lever and the solvent would squirt greater than 6 feet with no priming.

Comment

Working...
                  X