Looked for years finally got a set.....riveted linings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Looked for years finally got a set.....riveted linings

I feel fortunate that after looking for a good many years, I was able to secure a set of riveted brake shoes for my Stude Avanti. I never liked bonded linings, and I know the factory shipped the cars with bonded. The last set of shoes was installed back in 1975, this will be the last set of brakes that will ever be installed in my life time.

Did you get them at a Local Brake Reline Shop or someone's NORS Asbestos Shoes on eBay or Craigslist?

The Older the better!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Did you get them at a Local Brake Reline Shop or someone's NORS Asbestos Shoes on eBay or Craigslist?

The Older the better!
      They were 'secured' from ....the Studebaker "wizard" of Duncan Falls, Ohio:-)

Comment

I got some from a guy in NY who apparantly quit, maybe 'cause he was too busy. Anybody out there NOT seen 'bonded' linings come off???

Comment

My dad was a schoolteacher in the late 1950s. in 1958 he took 8 of the worst behaved kids in his high school out west to see the national parks and " straighten them out". This he did on his own dime. He had a new Plymouth 9 passenger
          station wagon with bonded brake linings, which came unbonded descending Pike's Peak. It did a certain amount of damage to the sheet metal getting the car stopped using the mountainside as a brake. Everyone safe, but he never liked Chrysler products after that. I have always been suspicious of bonded linings based on that and other experiences.
          JT

PS. Some of those kids came to his funeral in '06 and had successful lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
            I got some from a guy in NY who apparantly quit, maybe 'cause he was too busy. Anybody out there NOT seen 'bonded' linings come off???
            I have driven many vehicles many miles under all kinds of circumstances in my 85 years and have NEVER had a bonded lining come off or know of any that have. But, in this day and age of off shore products it will probably be more common.

Comment

All of the Cars my Family and I have owned have always been fine with Bonded Brake Shoes on often "DRIVEN" Cars.

But on the other hand, we have had several "Yard Cars" that sat un-driven for years, and when moved the shoes had Rusted away from the Linings and of course they fell off.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
              X