1962 Hawk GT, 289-4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1962 Hawk GT, 289-4

Having trouble locating the engine number. It's suppose to be on a machined plate on the left front of the cylinder block. Nothing there...nor on the right side. Is there another location? Also, what is the "normal" compression range for this engine? The book says 140-160. I'm getting around 150 on all except #7 (135). Also getting oil droplets out the exhaust on that side. Any guess on what may be failing? Thanks.

The engine number should be on the TOP of the block, at the front, on the LEFT side (car's left) of the engine and be a stamped (not cast) number. If there is no number there, it is probably a replacement block that did not get stamped when installed.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by New Hawk Guy View Post
      Also, what is the "normal" compression range for this engine? The book says 140-160. I'm getting around 150 on all except #7 (135). .. Any guess on what may be failing? Thanks.
      If my compression figures were that good and that consistent, I would be jumping with joy. Perhaps you are seeing trouble that isn't there?
      Last edited by RadioRoy; 01-25-2020, 07:44 AM.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Your compression is very good for a nearly-sixty-year-old engine.

The first suspect area for oil consumption is the valve stem seals. Unless you've changed them recently, they should be investigated. It's possible to pull the rocker covers and with a flashlight see if any are cracked or missing; most likely some are gone and all are hard. It would be unusual for an older engine not to benefit from valve stem seal replacement.

Do you do extended highway driving? If so, do you notice any drop in oil pressure? Somewhere in the timeframe your engine was produced, Studebaker Engineering changed the rocker arms, shafts and pushrods to limit the oil being sent to the top of the engine. Those built before the change can pump the pan dry when run at high speed.

So, the combination of needing valve stem seals and too much oil around the valve stems is the first place I'd check.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

I understand that good compression doesn't equate to the problem I'm seeing. Still, the engine loads up and pushes out a lot of blue smoke and I can't ignore those droplets of oil out the exhaust. It was passed on to me that the previous owner had the "umbrellas" (valve stem seals?) replaced not that long ago. Not 100% sure what they meant by that. He's not available to ask...
          Very much appreciate the insights and recommendations. Back to troubleshooting.

Comment

I understand that good compression doesn't equate to the problem I'm seeing. Still, the engine loads up and pushes out a lot of blue smoke and I can't ignore those droplets of oil out the exhaust. It was passed on to me that the previous owner had the "umbrellas" (valve stem seals?) replaced not that long ago. Not 100% sure what they meant by that. He's not available to ask...
            Sometimes the drains through the heads get restricted. Then there is a build of oil in the rocker arm area and eventually oil burning causing blue smoke.
            With the compression reading that you have, I can not imagine worn out rings (that would also give you oil burning).
            Are you sure that it is blue (oil) smoke and not black (too rich) smoke?
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

New umbrella valve stem seals will reduce but not eliminate oil burning caused by worn valve stems and guides. An experienced mechanic can evaluate valve stem and guide wear without a complete disassembly, but if your engine has had the seals replaced recently, chances are good it needs new valves and guides.

One last thought - since this Hawk is new to you, have you personally changed the oil and filter?

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

After using all of the above good advice:

All you need to do to determine if you actually HAVE an issue with the Valves, especially the Exhaust Valve in that Cyl. is; OIL the inboard side of the Top of the Piston with a small hose on your pump Oil Can (Two Tablespoons will do) and see if your Compression comes up.
                If it does NOT, it's the Valves, if it does a fair amount, it's the Rings causing the Lower Comp. and Oil burning and "spitting" Oil.

Yes if you found the "Pad" on the Block and it is empty, most likely a Factory new replacement "Block and Pistons Assy." has been installed.
                In rare cases the more complete "Short Block" could have been used, but they would both be Blank un-numbered Blocks.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 01-25-2020, 01:53 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I also had an oil burning problem with my 64 GT Hawk. I was burning thru several quarts of oil in about a 40 mile trip. I had reasonable compression and was not leaking any oil. A chapter member suggested replacing the "pcv" valve. It has so far solved the problem!

Comment

Very much appreciate all the suggestions and recommendations, again! Talking to an "old time" mechanic now and bringing along the post threads for discussion. And to "studegary": it's definitely blue smoke... Thanks to all.

Comment

Went down to west Texas to bring back 64 Hawk (9/11/01!) Pickup started blowing smoke -alot of smoke. Stopped at WalMart and bought a case--24 bottles and used most of it on the way home. Unhooked the trailer and it never used oil after that. I have no idea what was going on! In this case I would suspect the valve stem seals; just 'cause some guy said he replaced them is no reason to believe they actually have been replaced. The oil sweeper could be gummed up, but it is unusual to have nice compression with bad oil sweeper rings. Generous application of Rislone may help . A whole lot cheaper than an overhaul. Remember, the factory would not service an engine that used less than a quart every 500 miles. My 64 (9/11) car blew out almost a quart of oil on initial start-up post overhaul --in just 15-20 min. I has never used a drop since. I have no idea way . Maybe it has to do with that sad day.

Comment

Working...
                      X