No announcement yet.

259 .. thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Drivers Rock!!! Luck Doofus PS Seat o The Pants Dyno is happy!

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
      i built a 63 lark Standard 259. added a Chet Herbert reground cam and .060 head shave. 2in dual's and lo restriction mufflers. adapted mopar electronic ign to prestolite dist. seat of the pants dyno was quite pleased.
      what did the dyno tell you about your motor??
      IIRC, the original '63 259" with optional 4-bbl was rated at about 185 horsepower. (If yours is the export with 7.5 compression, figure 178.) Increased compression, a reground performance cam and ignition would be worth another ten to max of fifteen horsepower at the very top end; so maybe 190-195 horsepower.

If one is going to use a performance cam, increased valve spring pressure is required.

jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

interesting.. my butt dyno tells me the engine feels stronger than 180hp . even with 3.7 gearing in the rear... im aware the motor had alot of $$ put into a rebuild 25-30000 miles back.. i might try and track down some info from previous owners...

Comment

Question : do butt dynos ever need any sort of calibration for accurate readings? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
            Question : do butt dynos ever need any sort of calibration for accurate readings? LOL
            hmmm best advice... dont eat beans 24hrs prior to testing...

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
              Their accuracy is directly related to what was previously driven.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X