259 .. thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 259 .. thoughts

hi all .. im fairly new to this site,, i owned my 63 LArk for around 6 months now. i found some intriguing engine stuff during a recent distributor replacement. (prestolite had worn itself out !) .. anyway flat-top pistons, 4 bbbl, and R2 heads. the cam itself seems to be standard, as in no lumpy idle. im interested to find out if anyones dyno'd such and engine or thoughts around components listed .. stock exhaust manifolds.

Not related to the engine, but the car appears to have Cruiser trim and not Cruiser vent windows. Also a '63 Cruiser would have a 289 standard. What is the original body style? The body plate information on the engine side of the cowl will tell us. What is the engine block S/N (top of block stamped on the left, front)?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

indeed.. StudeGary.. this is a New Zealand "reassembled" Lark. fitted with Cruiser trim , i tkink only 96 cars were originally imported here (i think the Australian cars were the same ?) its definitely the 259 v8 .. Ive checked that as the came came with aftermarket 'studebaker 289' decals on the rocker covers - subsequently removed

Comment

Having that said, this engine is very likely a Stock Export 259, all 259's have Flat Top Pistons, and the heads are low compression; Export, Truck, and R2 Heads which add nothing to Performance.
        So it is a good, dependable, economical Driver 259 "Cruiser looking" Lark, not a Race Car.

What is the Body Type Code?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

What is the Body Type Code?[/QUOTE]

where would i find that info please?

Comment

See Gary's Post #2.
            StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              See Gary's Post #2.
              Note..."the engine side of the cowl"...doesn't say much. The "whole" cowl is the engine side..!

Said tag will normally be on the right side of the firewall. About a 3/4" x 2" tag that is screwed onto the upper firewall. Your's may be in a different location, but should still be just a small metal tag fastened to the firewall with two screws.

Just having a four barrel carburetor is a good thing.
              Does it have dual exhaust ?

Another thing to remember, keep the valves adjusted for the best performance.

Mike

Comment

I said the engine side of the cowl to differentiate it from the passenger side of the cowl (prevents looking under the dash for it). I didn't say left or right because being in New Zealand the car may be right hand drive and the tag may be on the left side rather than on the right side like it would be here.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

ok here goes..

Chassis/ Frame /body number 63V32792

Cast block number:: 3 cast above the 4

Stamped block number V586862

Heads 1557582

Just having a four barrel carburetor is a good thing. Yep 4bbl Edelbrock on 4bbl manifold
                  Does it have dual exhaust ? Twin exhaust yes to that ,, 4 pots to a pipe .. makes a decent noise to :-)

thanks all

Comment

Originally posted by 23 cratae View Post
                    ok here goes..

Chassis/ Frame /body number 63V32792

Cast block number:: 3 cast above the 4

Stamped block number V586862

Heads 1557582

Just having a four barrel carburetor is a good thing. Yep 4bbl Edelbrock on 4bbl manifold
                    Does it have dual exhaust ? Twin exhaust yes to that ,, 4 pots to a pipe .. makes a decent noise to :-)

thanks all
                    That is a 1963 V8 car assembled in South Bend late in the model year. The engine is/was a 259 cid V8 from late in the 1963 model year and initially installed in a Lark. The engine is likely original to the car. I would still like to know the body plate information.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

COOL info thanks StudeGary !!!

the only other body plate is on the drivers door pillar .. unfortunately somebodies village idiot painted over it ... the only thing legible is the 63V32792 stamped into it ..
                      originally the body was similar to the green .. engine bay is cream .. and no other tags can be found

Comment

On Original Left Hand Control Cars that have not been "tampered with", the Body Tag held only with 2 Phillips head screws look like this:
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Body Tag.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.9 KB ID:	1818413Click image for larger version  Name:	Engine Center.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.7 KB ID:	1818414
                        You can just barely see it here in Pic #2, near the Right Side(Passenger) Hood Hinge.
                        StudeRich

Comment

rats.... exactly where that is , a previous owner has repaired some rust (badly) and 'lost" that plate im guessing. sorry guys but no more numbers. even the rubber seal for the heater mesh screen was painted..

nice engine room by the way !!!

Comment

Sounds like you only need a cam change and head shave. 4 decades ago i built a 63 lark Standard 259. added a Chet Herbert reground cam and .060 head shave. 2in dual's and lo restriction mufflers. adapted mopar electronic ign to prestolite dist. seat of the pants dyno was quite pleased. it's now a daily driver/ loaner car, and still fun to drive. PS exhaust has a nice lope to it! Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                              Sounds like you only need a cam change and head shave. 4 decades ago i built a 63 lark Standard 259. added a Chet Herbert reground cam and .060 head shave. 2in dual's and lo restriction mufflers. adapted mopar electronic ign to prestolite dist. seat of the pants dyno was quite pleased. it's now a daily driver/ loaner car, and still fun to drive. PS exhaust has a nice lope to it! Luck Doofus
                              had a friend suggest an R1 cam .. out of the stock headers im running 2"+ exhaust tube to a couple of what i mightve called "too small" mufflers (but the noise is perfect!!) and ive got an old Mopar distributor stripped and ready to go. but since fitted a delco window dist as the prestolite needed a rebuild ... will look at that swap a bit further down the track

what did the dyno tell you about your motor??

mine runs a toyota 5 speed , so i hear you ;- daily driver ..

Comment

Working...
                              X