1951 Land Cruiser Automatic Trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 1951 Land Cruiser Automatic Trans

The 3 spd. auto transmission on my 51 Land Cruiser is leaking fluid around the threads on the two screws/bolts on the drivers side of the transmission. Not being familiar with this unit, I have not touched the screws or what looks like "snugging nuts" since I am assuming they may be band adjustments. Am I missing a seal someplace, or could it be the result of the car sitting for extended periods and the transmission fluid draining from the converter into the transmission which results in the fluid seeping out of the bolt threads as described above ? The transmission was restored by a Studebaker mechanic about 5 years ago (before I bought the car) and it has been driven approx. 5000 miles in that time. The transmission works fine--shifts well, and locks up as required. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Originally posted by mhs56 View Post
    could it be the result of the car sitting for extended periods and the transmission fluid draining from the converter into the transmission which results in the fluid seeping out of the bolt threads as described above ?
    That is a known symptom. Supposedly the more often you drive it, the less it will leak.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Thank you RadioRoy.

Comment

Working...
      X