1963 Lark Gearbox swap opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 1963 Lark Gearbox swap opinion

What would be a common swap from a Power flight auto over to 4 speed manual I am running a 289 Packard and the Danna diff

The 289 should be Studebaker. T10s were the 4 Spds that were stock. Several individuals have installed t5s, tkos etc. In any case, you would need the manual "ford" pattern bell housing as well as flywheel, clutch and clutch linkage and if course a shifter for the t10. If you go the t5, tko, or other you would need the adapters for the stock manual bell housing.
    I am happy with my Avanti R1, T10 and 3.54 Dana tt.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Once the transmission selection has been determined, the clutch linkage is a crucial decision. Your Lark should have the suspended pedals, so it's possible to use the OEM Lark manual clutch linkage, but unfortunately, it's a flawed design. on all my recent conversions, I've used a hydraulic clutch master cylinder and hydraulic throwout bearing.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
        The 289 should be Studebaker. T10s were the 4 Spds that were stock. Several individuals have installed t5s, tkos etc. In any case, you would need the manual "ford" pattern bell housing as well as flywheel, clutch and clutch linkage and if course a shifter for the t10. If you go the t5, tko, or other you would need the adapters for the stock manual bell housing.
        I am happy with my Avanti R1, T10 and 3.54 Dana tt.
        Thanks for the info . My engine number is "P" that is supposed to be 4 bbl Packard

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          Once the transmission selection has been determined, the clutch linkage is a crucial decision. Your Lark should have the suspended pedals, so it's possible to use the OEM Lark manual clutch linkage, but unfortunately, it's a flawed design. on all my recent conversions, I've used a hydraulic clutch master cylinder and hydraulic throwout bearing.

jack vines
          Thanks Jack yes it is suspended I agree using hydraulic as well

Comment

Originally posted by Rapps View Post

Thanks for the info . My engine number is "P" that is supposed to be 4 bbl Packard
            Actually, the "P" denotes president which is 289 either 2 or 4bbl. 259 were "V" engines except in 55 when they were "P". I believe Packard engines were "L" or "LS" if supercharged.
            78 Avanti RQB 2792
            64 Avanti R1 R5408
            63 Avanti R1 R4551
            63 Avanti R1 R2281
            62 GT Hawk V15949
            56 GH 6032504
            56 GH 6032588
            55 Speedster 7160047
            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Model year starting engine numbers can be found in this table:
              http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                Model year starting engine numbers can be found in this table:
                http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp
                Thanks this is great

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post

Actually, the "P" denotes president which is 289 either 2 or 4bbl. 259 were "V" engines except in 55 when they were "P". I believe Packard engines were "L" or "LS" if supercharged.
                  There you go Thanks

Comment

It probably makes sense just to rebuild the auto and source the correct floor change and linkage. I think they are a great combination

Comment

Originally posted by Rapps View Post
                      It probably makes sense just to rebuild the auto and source the correct floor change and linkage. I think they are a great combination
                      Agree. Once one becomes accustomed to pulling the floor lever to L, manually shifting to second and then third, the Powershift works really well with the Stude V8.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

I have a 61 Hawk 4 spd that last year experienced a xmission failure. Instead of rebuilding the T-4 I replaced it with a bolt in Mustang T-5. I used a 1994 World Class WCTS. WC means it can handle an extra 50hp. The case holes lined up to the bell housing. Other work had to be done. I have drafted a memo I was going to share with the forum but have not done it yet. I can post it if you think it will be of help. The 5 spd makes the car drive a lot better and smoother, especially with the dana rear end.

Comment

Why not post it. I am sure it will benefit

Comment

Originally posted by Al Kurz View Post
                            I have a 61 Hawk 4 spd that last year experienced a xmission failure. Instead of rebuilding the T-4 I replaced it with a bolt in Mustang T-5./Cut/
                            If your hawk was Stock, I am pretty sure you had a Borg Warner T-10 4 Speed!

Not a "Bolt-in", if you Modify the T-5 Front Bearing Support, Input Shaft, Driveshaft Yoke, and Clutch Linkage.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                            X