Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Loose 64 Avanti with loose interior rear view mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Loose 64 Avanti with loose interior rear view mirror

I have a 1964 Studebaker Avanti and the ball and sockets on the interior rear view mirror are loose. What technique have you SDC members used with success to keep them fitting snug? Thank you in advance!

It depends on your patience and skill level. One could epoxy it, sand it down to fit, some people just glue them in place, you could tack weld and grind it down until it fits tighter for a better repair. There is a similar one on a Mustang? some have found as a replacement.... You can search the topic on this forum. I know there are threads about it, I just can't find them.

Comment

Try coating the ball and socket with this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bullfrog-Sn...wAAOSwCRNdzBNK
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I have the same problem with the mirror on our '70. The 2 halves of the post have Ford part numbers. I thought about replacing the phillips head screws with some allen head screws so I could tighten them a little more.....Maybe coating the balls with some goop will help.....we'll see.....

Comment

Studebaker Service Letter F-1963-18 covers the repair for this problem.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            Studebaker Service Letter F-1963-18 covers the repair for this problem.
            Gary, Where would I find the service letter?

Comment

I don't know if those washers are still available. I suppose they are small, soft washers; copper or aluminum. Old tech tips say a similar but better mirror was used by Fords. Exactly what models I do not recall. Maybe search some Ford parts dealers that specialize in '60s-'70s.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Avanti.mirror.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.2 KB ID:	1816558

Comment

Exact replacement for late 64s. A perfect repair of the earlier type that are CRAP.
                https://johnsmustang.com/products/19...25081583697984
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I appreciate the input. Excellent information! Thanks everyone.

Comment

I put a Day/Night mirror from a Rambler in my '64 Avanti. It is the same design as a Stude but has a small 'R" etched in center bottom. The button is identical as well as the shape of the mirror to Stude. I didn't want to use the Ford mirror in the Avanti as it's not even close to original. The mirror will not work in other Studes as it has a ball in the bracket. I think the mirrors were used by AMC in the early to mid '60's. I had several but don't recall AMC models from which they were removed. By the way I went to my local hardware store and got small nylon bushings to pack the ball area, works better and stays in place.
                    Rob in PA.

Comment

copper washers are used on calipers for the brake lines... not sure if they the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X