Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

New c/k gas tanks work on lark wagons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: New c/k gas tanks work on lark wagons?

I'm needing a tank for my 61 wagon and was curious if the reproduced c/k tanks will interchange. They appear very similar. I've asked a couple vendors that sell them but neither could verify if they would work on a wagon or not.

If you weld up the Filler Hole and move the Filler Pipe to the Wagon Location they WILL work, not easy or cheap.
    Probably NOT your best option.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Have a very religous 57 tank, will compare to my 56 wagon tank soonest.didnt 61 wagons use side filler also? note some Stude tanks came with 2 filler neck provisions and 1 was left blank.Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
        Have a very religous 57 tank, will compare to my 56 wagon tank soonest.didnt 61 wagons use side filler also? note some Stude tanks came with 2 filler neck provisions and 1 was left blank.Luck Doofus
        My '61 4 door has a side filler neck.
        Chip
        '63 Cruiser
        '57 Packard wagon
        '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Yes the filler neck is on the left. It looks very similar to the c/k tank pics I've seen. Though it may be a little offset . Thanks

Comment

I used a NOS lark wagon tank (one of the last ones SASCO had) in my '53 hardtop. One hanger hole on the flange is about 1" offset, otherwise it fit pretty well. Maybe the filler neck a little too vertical but not impossible to get the hose on. Only other issue is the sender is not directly under the access cover in the trunk so you need to drop the tank if you have to mess with that.

So, stands to reason a C/K tank should fit a lark wagon, but with same issues in reverse.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by jwitt View Post
              I'm needing a tank for my 61 wagon and was curious if the reproduced c/k tanks will interchange. They appear very similar. I've asked a couple vendors that sell them but neither could verify if they would work on a wagon or not.
              Yes. NOT...that difficult to do. The factory tanks have a round, flat spot for the wagon filler location. don't know about the reproduction tanks. Even there, just measure the existing location and form a new hole. A little body work may be required to smooth it up.

Just open that hole about 1/4" / 5/16" smaller than the size of the filler tube. Use a small hammer to fold, make a "lip" to hold the tube and for a good solder joint.
              You can either weld (new tank) or solder a patch over the original rear location hole to plug it.

As I recall, I did have to drill different hole(s) in the flange to mount it to the frame, but again, NOT...a big deal.

I did this a few years back for one of my wagons. Been years...no leaks so far.

Mike

Comment

Jwitt, back from measuring tanks. filler neck about 3/4 to 1 in further forward on c/k tank. being a Card Carrying CASO i would make it fit. filler tube has lots of back to front movement. mounting holes easily modified. changed 56 tank to suction line at lower left front and soldered in. Luck Doofus

Comment

Great to hear it will work with little modification. Thanks for all the help.!

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                    being a Card Carrying CASO i would make it fit. changed 56 tank to suction line at lower left front and soldered in. Luck Doofus
                    When we put a '56 tank in our '53, I just added a pickup tube to the generic Stewart Warner sender we used. Super easy. Been that way 30 years now.

sigpic

Comment

Like a slipping clutch, my mind does not always engage when it should. I have a 52 Commander 4 door with the left fill tank. Do you think that the C/K tank would fit in the 52 I have should I need one. I haven't gotten to the car yet but will be soon and if my tank is toast would this work?

Bob Miles

Comment

Bob, do some measuring and report back. Luck Doofus

Comment

Hi All, as the company that had the C/K tanks reproduced, we'd like to clear up a lot of the misinformation here. We've done the research and if the C/K tank would fit any other Studebaker model, we would be marketing it as such.

First, the repro C/K tank is an EXACT copy of the original. It's made to the specs on the factory blueprints. The only differences from the original tank is that the new ones are galvanized steel, and we chose to eliminate the drain plug.

Secondly, the C/K tank is the exact same part number as the tank used in '58 station wagons. Otherwise, the C/K tank WILL NOT FIT into any other Studebaker model or body style.

On both the '54-57 wagon series, and '59-66 wagons, the tank is shorter (from front the back) than the C/K tank. We pulled a station wagon out of the barn and attempted to install a new C/K tank. What we found is that when installed in a wagon, the C/K tank protrudes too far forward, and would contact the rear axle housing. While it is possible to install a wagon tank into a C/K with minimal alterations, it doesn't work the other way around.

The '50-52 cars have the spare tire well in the trunk and the gas tank is considerably narrower than the C/K tank.

We also have already reproduced the '49-64 truck gas tank, and currently are in the process of reproducing the '50-52 car tank, and '53-58 sedan tank. We expect both of those to be in stock later this summer or fall. The '62-66 sedan/wagon tank is on our tentative to-do list, but that's at least a year out.

For someone needing a '59-66 wagon gas tank, we do have one nice used tank in stock.

Thanks,

Stephen Allen's LLC
                          mystudebaker.com

Comment

There seems a lot of closeness in design of tanks. In example I used the fuel tank from my 1982 Mercedes wagon in my 39 CE with almost no modification.
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Stephen's advice is good, if you want the job done RIGHT, find a good used CORRECT Tank or wait for the New Correct ones.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X