V8 Timing Gear Cover Drawing Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack,

I have got the coupler on order from Moon with the engine side unmachined. I have not gotten them to confirm what I can get for installation instructions. Do you know of anyone with "detailed" instructions like would have been supplied back in the day? I would like to know the "suggested" slip fit tolerance for the crank side of the coupler. I have purchased every '56 - '62 HOT ROD & Car Craft magazine that mentioned Potvin or "The New Blowers". I found many unknown details like the oiling for the gears, etc. but no info on the slip fit. Thanks for posting the MOPAR Potvin, it's inspiring. I have the blower side into a drawing. As soon as I get the Stude drawing we're closer but I need the coupler to arrive to ascertain the front to rear distance. Moon will not give me the info up front. I'll just need to be patient.

JK
    Last edited by 3x2stude; 01-08-2020, 04:56 PM.

Comment

No hard information on the Potvin/Moon, but I'll look. I discussed this with my machinist and it seems even the OEMs didn't agree on whether the crank gear should be a hard press fit, a light press fit or a slip fit on the crank snout. There are examples of each which ran forever in their original application.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Thanks for the quick response Jack. I'll keep diggin' on my end.

JK

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
          I ordered the drawing yesterday from the museum but thanks for the effort David.

JK
          I do not think you will find that 4.628 dimension on the cover drawing.
          David L

Comment

I would like to see the drawing when you get it . The block drawing would also provide information. I like to see pre cad drawings lots of time and work went into making them. I think the 4.628 is to crankshaft bearing C/L . My interest is connected with my QC background

Comment

All I need is the cover bolt pattern to the crank center, I am pretty sure the museum drawing will have that. The cam centerline is in relation to the crank in the scheme of things but it is good to know. Thanks again for the info David.

JK

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
                All I need is the cover bolt pattern to the crank center, I am pretty sure the museum drawing will have that. The cam centerline is in relation to the crank in the scheme of things but it is good to know. Thanks again for the info David.

JK
                That info is right on the sketch I posted!
                David L

Comment

Working...
                X