V8 Timing Gear Cover Drawing Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: V8 Timing Gear Cover Drawing Needed

I am working on building a "Potvin" style direct drive supercharger for a Stude V8. I need a drawing of the V8 timing gear cover. I can get it from the museum but it will take a couple of weeks and I want to get started sooner.

JK

IIRC, there are some around. Both the Salty Lark and Jeff Rice are using a commercially available front blower drive units on their race cars and Mike Van Veghten had a run of two-piece timing covers made for some of us, so maybe they'll refresh our recollection.

Chris Alton's Chassisworks

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Jack,

"DIRECT DRIVE POTVIN", Google it. I have two of Mike's gear drives but I want an engineering drawing so I do not have to "reverse engineer" it. Mike has no drawings available.

JK
      Attached Files
      Last edited by 3x2stude; 01-05-2020, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Yep, I was there when the direct drive Potvin was a new thing.

Just thought a review of what is out there and currently being used might be helpful as a starting point.

jack vines
        Last edited by PackardV8; 01-05-2020, 12:25 PM.
        PackardV8

Comment

I assumed you were there but didn't want to say so, . I know the Potvin is old school but it is what I want to do. Thanks for the input.

JK

Comment

I suggest you call the Museum, give them the part number for the front cover & a copy of the original blueprint is made. The cost is based on the number of sheets required for the copy.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I'll admit I'd lost track of the fact the Mooneyes kit is still available for SBCs.

With your adapters, all you need is the timing cover housing to fit the Stude V8 like the SBC in the top left. Should be a fun project.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Are you just looking for the bolt pattern?
                David L

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  I'll admit I'd lost track of the fact the Mooneyes kit is still available for SBCs.

With your adapters, all you need is the timing cover housing to fit the Stude V8 like the SBC in the top left. Should be a fun project.

jack vines
                  wow...beautiful, but not for CASO folks @ $3320
                  sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

(opinion)

T'were it me, I'd be grabbing an SBC timing cover gasket (and a cover) and laying it on a Stude gasket (and block).
                    The SBC is probably bigger because of the cam chain drive.
                    I could see a cover plate adapter and a shaft adapter.

This will be a race only setup as there is zero provision for any accessory drive off the crankshaft.
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

That looks really wicked. Reminds me of the front mounted transmission on a prewar Cord.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I need the cover bolt pattern with its relationship to the crank center and "accurate". I will call Andrew at the museum tomorrow. He said it is available just before the holidays.

JK

Comment

Here's one I'd forgotten even ever existed; an early hemi with a Potvin blower kit and an Orner Motive fuel injection.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
                            I need the cover bolt pattern with its relationship to the crank center and "accurate". I will call Andrew at the museum tomorrow. He said it is available just before the holidays.

JK
                            Not sure you can get the relationship to the crank centerline from that. I haven't looked at the drawing for a while. This sketch of something I was working on shows the relationship you were looking for. The bolt patern for the 4 screws that go into the filler block are not shown.

David L
                            Last edited by 64Avanti; 01-06-2020, 10:40 PM.
                            David L

Comment

I ordered the drawing yesterday from the museum but thanks for the effort David.

JK

Comment

Working...
                              X