Cylinder to cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder to cylinder

What is the bore center number of a 259?
    Mono mind in a stereo world

4.5 inches

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

OK Warren, I just have to satisfy my curiosity, how did you know that, and WHY would anyone want to know?

Seems insignificant, the holes are where they are, they were align bored at the factory.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

LOL Rich. There was an article around 63 that had all the specs of the domestic engines other than bore x stroke, ect. I wondered why with a 4 1/2 inch bore spacing that Studebaker never opened up that dimention. The sbc has a spacing of 4.38 if memory is correct & the 327 & 350 carry a 4" bore while the 400 has an even larger bore, but with siamezed cylinders, steam ports, ect, so not really viable. While at a machine shop in L.A. that did some work for the local Rolls dealer, I noticed some cylinders. They were too thick for sleeves, so I asked. Turns out Rolls used a "wet cylinder" so my idea of boring the block out to take a similar set up isnt too far fetched. With the 259 crank you'd have a 327 & with a 289 crank it would be around a 358! Using the spec sheet for other makes as a guide, if the head bolt retainers would not interfer, then you could safely go as far as a 4.12 bore, but thats as far as I've thought on the matter. Put it all in the catagory of "what if's".

60 Lark convertible
        61 Champ
        62 Daytona convertible
        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2)
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Wow I'm impressed!

Mabel 1949 Champion
          1957 Silverhawk
          1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          1955 President State
          1957 Golden Hawk
          Fresno,Ca
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

Warren -

Don't want to stick a pin in anyones bubble....but.
            While the deck is "almost" thick enough to "wet liner" a Stude block. The lower wall (bottom of the block) is no where thick enough to support a wet liner.

I don't recall the exact numbers right off hand, but my sonic checker told me not to attempt it. I checked in more than a few spots, once the bore material is gone, that wall is down to around .190"/.230" as I recall.

Might be doable for a coupla passes on the drag strip, or a single on the short course at Bonniville...but that's a lot of money for just a coupla runs.

Mike

Comment

Could you stay clear of the very bottom? But, then what would you do for breathing? the stude heads are asthmatic as they are. I guess with a bigger bore, maybe cut the valve guide off center and replace the seat; where did I see that? But then the intake ports are tiny,,so what..chop an inch off the intake side of the head?

Comment

I'm experimenting right now with moving the intake port over.
                So far, I've gotten them to flow as well as the old Corvette "fulie" (461,462 casting) and "almost as well as a mildly ported Corvette head.
                What did they have for a bore size again...? Oh yea..4.000".

Anyway, it's been a bit of a pain finding someone willing to do the work I can't do (moving the guides and seats, working with me on seat dimentions, etc.). I think (hope) I have solved that problem.
                Now I'm porting four ports slightly differently in an effort to find out a good compromise in port shape to do up a coupla (3 so far) sets to experiment with.

Two things that are now problems -
                1. A custom intake manifold is now required.
                2. More cam is now required.

Oh what fun...

Mike

I forgot...
                No, to support the oversize sleeve, the sleeve must go to the bottom and be supported by something at the bottom of the sleeve, that is the block, where it's too thin for good support.

Comment

Working...
                X