R2 Air Cleaner Types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: R2 Air Cleaner Types

I was wondering if anyone knew the specific types of the R2 air cleaners and what are they for specifically and which mounted setup goes to what. I will link a few pictures with 5 air cleaners I have not on any engines.
    Attached Files

The last one is a '63 Avanti air cleaner. I'll go (tomorrow) & look at my '63 R2 Hawk and try to identify another one.
    -Dwight

Comment

ISTR that the differences in R2 air cleaner assemblies was written up in "Turning Wheels" fairly recently.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        ISTR that the differences in R2 air cleaner assemblies was written up in "Turning Wheels" fairly recently.
        I will have to check them then. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
          The last one is a '63 Avanti air cleaner. I'll go (tomorrow) & look at my '63 R2 Hawk and try to identify another one.
          -Dwight
          It has been hard to see which were because I have seen Avantis with the first and many different configurations as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lowrey View Post

It has been hard to see which were because I have seen Avantis with the first and many different configurations as well.
            To make it clear....The LAST photo is of a '63 Avanti (not '64) R2 air cleaner. It is distinguished by the filter element being partly exposed and having no rectangular "snout." In other words, the air enters the air cleaner through the end (the intake end) rather than through a rectangular snout.

Of course, these things have been swapped around over the years. The Turning Wheels article is the authority on these air cleaners.
            -Dwight

Comment

To make it clear....The LAST photo is of a '63 Avanti (not '64) R2 air cleaner. It is distinguished by the filter element being partly exposed and having no rectangular "snout." In other words, the air enters the air cleaner through the end (the intake end) rather than through a rectangular snout.

Of course, these things have been swapped around over the years. The Turning Wheels article is the authority on these air cleaners.
              -Dwight
              Which one is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Lowrey View Post

Which one is it?
                On my screen the last (third from the left) picture has only one air cleaner.
                -Dwight

Comment

On my screen the last (third from the left) picture has only one air cleaner.
                  -Dwight
                  I had meant which turning wheels it was in. Also I was bidding on that NOS one on Ebay that says it was for an Avanti but fully covers the air filter maybe for 64 type?

Comment

In checking a few pictures it looks like they made quite a few air cleaners. Some show the vent hose fitting facing at a 45 degree angle facing forward to the exit opening. Another is at a straight line fordward. Also the opening square for incoming air is at the bottom angle and another is toward the fender ???? Is there any difference for the r-2 larks both 63 and 64 also the side stud is on one unit at the forward incoming end and another is in the middle of the cleaner ??? Thanks

Comment

How can i get a copy of turning wheel's article on the air cleaner items ?

Comment

That article by Andrew Beckman appears in January 2015 TW. Copies are available from SDC (members area). Also on ebay or from members that don't save their issues.
                        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                          That article by Andrew Beckman appears in January 2015 TW. Copies are available from SDC (members area). Also on ebay or from members that don't save their issues.
                          Only five years ago. To me, that is "recent." I believe that there was some follow up to the original article in later TW's.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                          X