54 Wagon Windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 54 Wagon Windshield

I have a 54 wagon and need a windshield. I've looked online and the size says 22" x 54" tall. When I measure the actual windshield opening on my car it is 19-1/2" tall and not 22" or something a bit more.

Am I missing something? Can someone measure their window for me?

Thanks in advance......Gary

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2936.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1815135Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2937.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1815136

I suggest checking with one of the vendors that specializes in Studebaker glass. I believe that one company recently changed owners, but is still in business.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You're not measuring the glass, you're measuring the opening. Look at the profile of the correct gasket.
      National Auto Glass Specifications measurements (from that era) are expressed in even numbers, rounded up to the next whole inch. (More history, for anyone that cares: this measuring system goes back to when shops cut their own (flat) windshields out of stock sheets of flat glass. The block size measurements told them what size sheet was needed to cut the w/s out of. Sheets were always stocked in even sized dimensions.)
      The windshield you need was originally part number W305. Now identified as DW305 or DW00305. It fits 53 to first series 55 sedans and wagons. Does NOT fit C/K coupe bodies.
      KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

kurt -

That's a big difference, and your comment is going the wrong dimension. It should be "shorter" not longer when adding the rubber.

Gary -

I have a coupla wagons, but they all have windshields in them, so I can't really help accurately.
        In any case, as noted, I'd check with the actual glass vendors (NOT ebay), see what they have to say. Be sure that they understand that you are working on a station wagon, not a C/K body car.
        And Kurt is correct, the wagon and sedan body has many similarities, including (I do believe) the windshield.

Good luck.. I'd like a tinted one for one of my wagons..!

Mike

Comment

The w/s doesn't fit inside the pinchweld, Mike.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Stude gasket.jpg Views:	57 Size:	17.5 KB ID:	1815163
          The w/s goes in the wide slot.
          Last edited by kurtruk; 12-31-2019, 08:55 PM.
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Comment

you appear to have the non-wraparound type windshield. The 19 1/2 " is correct (I measured it for someone else last year) The larger measurement is probably for a wraparound windshield with a dog leg. Just bought a windshield from Studebaker Glass and Rubber but I'm afraid to put it in the car! They were very nice. Call them and be sure you order the correct one 'cause shipping is $$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
              you appear to have the non-wraparound type windshield. The 19 1/2 " is correct (I measured it for someone else last year) The larger measurement is probably for a wraparound windshield with a dog leg. Just bought a windshield from Studebaker Glass and Rubber but I'm afraid to put it in the car! They were very nice. Call them and be sure you order the correct one 'cause shipping is $$$$$
              So, what does this mean? What do I need to order, or what do I say I need?

Regarding the 19-1/2" dimension in my car, the actual opening is about an inch less. The 19-1/2" dimension is about the actual straight line height of the windshield would be. Meaning, I took the rubber into account as shown by Kurtruk.

Thanks...Gary

Comment

Just call a Studebaker glass vendor and tell them that you need windshield for a 1954 station wagon.
                It is only confusing the issue for people to talk about flat vs. wraparound windshields for your wagon. That only applies to 1955 models.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I called 2 Studebaker glass places and the one guy confirmed that the dimension was what they start with but they didn't have any in stock, so he couldn't give me any final measurements. I left a message at Studebaker glass in NV, but haven't received a return call. I suspect they aren't working this week...

There is a local guy who has a new W305 windshield on Craigslist, but didn't answer his "E" mails in a timely manner. After several days, he finally answered me with the measurements and said it is about 19-3/8 tall in the middle by 51 inches at the widest part it the bottom. This will be correct for my opening.....

Thanks for the help.....Gary

Comment

If you can get one locally, that is a big plus. Besides shipping cost, there is also the chance of breakage.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Buy it---it's the right one.
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Comment

Working...
                      X