Water Pump Manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Water Pump Manifold

Would someone be able to tell me what year(s)/model(s) this water manifold was used? I need to install a new Temp Sender on my 289, and would just as soon go this route. Next, would someone be willing to sell me one? Thanks...

Did you intend to include picture? In any case, I have several spares. Can you let us know what year you are looking for?
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Comment

I screwed up, trying to add a picture... See the Post above...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
          Would someone be able to tell me what year(s)/model(s) this water manifold was used? I need to install a new Temp Sender on my 289, and would just as soon go this route. Next, would someone be willing to sell me one? Thanks...
          But.........I thought the temp sender goes into the rear of the driver's side head on a Studebaker V8, not into the water manifold. What am I missing here?? Also, no picture showed up.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

r1lark - Trying to replace the sender in its Stock location is a pain in the butt for me. This will be much easier for me...

Comment

From the picture, it appear to a later 2 bolt thermostat housing. The temp sensor is in the spot where the bleeder valve would normally go. I am in Hawai'i until middle of January. If you have not found solution by then, send me a p.m.
              78 Avanti RQB 2792
              64 Avanti R1 R5408
              63 Avanti R1 R4551
              63 Avanti R1 R2281
              62 GT Hawk V15949
              56 GH 6032504
              56 GH 6032588
              55 Speedster 7160047
              55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2501.JPG
Views:	571
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1814940Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2502.JPG
Views:	594
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1814941
                These photos are of my 1962 Champ. Manifold is PN 1551031 as used in all '61 to '64 8 cyl. except Avanti. See the raised circular flat spot? The Avanti manifold had a bleeder valve installed there. You could use the Avanti manifold or get the non Avanti manifold and drill and tap a hole. However, it seems to me that the temperature at the head is more important than the temperature at the manifold.

Comment

345 DeSoto -

Don't be too concerned about sender placement. If going into the back of the head is a tuff swap, the water manifold is fine.
                  If you measure the distance from the back of a cylinder head to the location on the manifold...the difference is just a couple of inches. The temp. difference is more a front to back difference, Going to the front, closer to the radiator...the gauge should show a slightly cooler temperature reading on the gauge. Should be not much more than about a 5° or so difference.

You'll be just fine.

Mike

Comment

I located a 61 - 64 Studebaker 259/289 V8 water pump housing, including pump and 4 bolt thermostat housing, for $40 + free Shipping...no need to change over to a 2 bolt housing. I'll need to drill/tap the blank raised boss on the driver side, but no big deal. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while...
                    Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 12-28-2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                      I located a 61 - 64 Studebaker 259/289 V8 water pump housing, including pump and 4 bolt thermostat housing, for $40 + free Shipping...no need to change over to a 2 bolt housing. I'll need to drill/tap the blank raised boss in the passenger side, but no big deal. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while...
                      I think the squirrel needs NEW Glasses!

A 4 Bolt Water Manifold is from a 1951 to 1954 V8 or, with a different Casting Number; 1955 to 1960, not a '61-'64 Car.
                      If it is a 4 Bolt from a "C" Cab Truck, the Fan and water pump mounting will not center on the Radiator.

The Blank "Boss" is on the Driver's Side, and is there to be drilled and tapped for a Heater hose fitting for Air Conditioned Cars.

Originally posted by rbisacca View Post
                      /Cut/You could use the Avanti manifold or get the non Avanti manifold and drill and tap a hole. However, it seems to me that the temperature at the head is more important than the temperature at the manifold.
                      You cannot use an Avanti Water Manifold on anything except an Avanti, ...LOCATIONS, Locations, locations.

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                      345 DeSoto -
                      Don't be too concerned about sender placement. If going into the back of the head is a tuff swap, the water manifold is fine.
                      If you measure the distance from the back of a cylinder head to the location on the manifold...the difference is just a couple of inches. The temp. difference is more a front to back difference, Going to the front, closer to the radiator...the gauge should show a slightly cooler temperature reading on the gauge. Should be not much more than about a 5° or so difference.
                      You'll be just fine.Mike
                      As the heated water flows up and Forward from the block and the Head, as each of 4 Cylinders is passed, MORE heat should be accumulated going Forward to the Radiator to be cooled, so the sender SHOULD Read the Hottest there.

It travels a full 23 Inches from the stock location, not that it is a bad thing for a Temp. Gauge, it's just the Facts.
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 12-28-2019, 12:21 PM.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich - I corrected the location of the Boss in my last Post. It most probably IS what you stated. However, the correct Year/Model application not withstanding, it's exactly what I need . As for the fan/water pump not centering on the radiator if it is a "C" Cab, that's not a problem, I'm not using a Stock fan. I'm using the one piece fan/shroud unit from a PT Cruiser, which is mounted on the radiator. Thanks, though, for looking out for me. Do I at least get to keep my acorn?...
                        BTW...the part number on it is 1547210...
                        Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 12-28-2019, 12:58 PM.

Comment

The manifold pictured is on my '62. It was on it when I got the car, I was told the engine was from a '63 or '64. From what I could find everything on it but the oil pan and air cleaner is consistent with an R1, but it has been over bored. I had used that sender location for an electric fan switch, which is shown in the pic, but have also used it for a temp gauge sender along with the one in the rear of the head and two gauges. There was little discernable temp difference between the two locations using analog gauges.

Comment

Working...
                          X