Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commander Eddie
    replied
    I continue to be amazed at how well you guys understand how these things work. Since the solenoid was working well before the transmission was rebuilt, I am encouraged by all the input here that I will find the solenoid still working or it will work after a little attention. In the meantime I have a working solenoid in the truck now so I may well have a working spare when I am finished.

Leave a comment:

• Ross
    replied
    Agree the stem must be seated in the pawl correctly for the OD to work.

However, the internal plunger is separate from the stem--the stem is spring loaded inside the plunger. Thus even if the stem doesn't move the plunger should move all the way to the "cocked" position and the pull-in coil will turn off and the hold-in coil will hold it there. If you are accelerating up through the gears the plunger will cock the instant the governor tells it to at twenty-something mph. When you finally get around to letting off the gas the balk ring in the OD will finally let the pawl slide into place. That is, the spring loaded stem will then push the pawl into place. That is part of the genius of the system is that a failure of the pawl to move will no cause any harm to the solenoid.

In any event, the solenoids are very robust and reliable. If you take the cover off and clean that set of points that is on the side you are almost guaranteed success. While you are there clean that other set of points at the top which are operated by the stem as they are need to ground the engine ignition momentarily for kickdown.

Leave a comment:

• kxet
    replied
    Possible the mechanic didn't get plunger in correctly, it has to touch button in bottom to go into hold mode. Check coil continuity with ohm meter.

Leave a comment:

• kxet
    replied
    If solenoid plunger does not go all the way in to go into hold mode it will overheat if power is left on. If plunger is removed same thing happens. Pull coil will burn out.

Leave a comment:

• Commander Eddie
    replied
    Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
    When you removed the solenoid did you have to twist it about a 1/4 turn to remove it?
    Yes. And to re-install it you need to tilt it slightly as you insert it and the clock it a few degrees the other direction to seat it.

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    When you removed the solenoid did you have to twist it about a 1/4 turn to remove it?

Leave a comment:

• Commander Eddie
    replied
    Thanks, Gerald. I will check those coils as well.

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    Commander Eddie, while you are in there check the 2 coils in the body of the solenoid. the pull in coil and the hold in coil, sometimes they break down. cant remember the exact test but hopefully you can figure it out.Luck Doofus

Leave a comment:

• Commander Eddie
    replied
    Bud, thank you. That sounds very simple. That's what I like about old technology. I can't wait to open the can and look inside.

Leave a comment:

• Bud
    replied
    Remove the solenoid cover, it is held on with 2 nuts. Once inside you will see two sets of contacts which will most likely be in need of a cleaning due to oil from the transmission working its way up the solenoid push rod which causes carbon build up on the contact points. Unless the contact points are completely burned away, a cleaning will usually fix your problem. Do not use anything that is really abrasive to clean the contacts or you can ruin them. I usually use a piece of 600 grit sand paper to give the contacts a few good licks followed by washing with a good contact cleaner to flush away any debris left on the points. Bud

Leave a comment:

• Overdrive Solenoid Repair

I just had the 3-speed w/overdrive transmission in my truck rebuilt. It works so much better now. When I took the truck to the repair shop the overdrive was working fine. When the mechanic put the solenoid back on after the rebuild it would not work. I found a good used replacement solenoid locally from one of our club members. It was installed and works fine. I kept the old solenoid in the hopes I could get it working again. I have heard these can sometimes be opened, cleaned and made to work again. I cannot find any instructions for this, however. Can anyone point me to printed instructions, or better yet a how-to video? If I can get this working I will have a spare or one I can pass along to someone else in the same situation I was in.
Working...
X