King pins, '61 Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: King pins, '61 Champ

The king pins in our Champ have play in them. In trying to replace them, I can not get them out. Keeper is out. I can see and feel the spindle "arms" move a little bit when rocked back and forth. So its like the king pin is tight in the axle itself. Tried using an old Snap On king pin remover, but it doesn't look super stout, and after putting a cheater bar on it, with quite a bit of pressure, nothing. Have tried a big punch and sledge hammer, still no movement. I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
    Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Sometimes, it's quicker just to pull the whole axle out and take it to a truck spring shop. They'll press out the pins, put in your new bushings and ream them for correct fit, and push the new king pins in.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Sounds like the Stude truck king pins must be a totally different setup from the cars.

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
        Sometimes, it's quicker just to pull the whole axle out and take it to a truck spring shop. They'll press out the pins, put in your new bushings and ream them for correct fit, and push the new king pins in.
        I do have the axle already out, so might be alot less headaches taking it to a shop.

Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
          Sounds like the Stude truck king pins must be a totally different setup from the cars.
          Not sure how the cars are set up. But these might be original king pins, not sure.
          Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Trucks had solid front axles, cars from 1947 ( and some earlier planar suspensions) had independent front suspension. Here's the drawing for the 1962-64 truck axle, pretty much the same parts from 1948. M5 trucks were about the same, but king pins were 1/2" shorter. The knuckles and king pins used on 1/2-ton R, E, and Champ trucks will fit the M5 trucks back to 1941.

Click image for larger version

Name:	truck front axle 7E&8E.png
Views:	253
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1814531
            Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

Trucks had solid front axles, cars from 1947 ( and some earlier planar suspensions) had independent front suspension. [/ATTACH]
              Thanks for the information and illustration.

Looking at the illustration, I notice the "tie rod, 1207-3" connecting the two spindle arms, on the drivers side, is connected to the hole closest to the axle. When I took mine apart, it was in the hole farthest from the axle. Do you know if need to correct that when re-installing?

Thanks,
              Mike

Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

I think the tie rods should be in the holes closest to the spindles. The reach rod from the steering box goes in the outer hole. There are outer holes both left and right to accommodate both left hand and right hand steering.
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

'48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

I think the tie rods should be in the holes closest to the spindles.
                  Thanks. Probably somebody in the past moved it to the other hole.

Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Champ Couple, where most folks fail is you have to support the king pin at the knuckle. support it any where else and the axle springs up and down and absorbs the hammer blows and the pin wont give. you chose wisely! Luck Doofus

Comment

Don't make the same mistake I did & keep all the shims (spacers, washers, whatever you wish to call them) in order so they can be re-assembled back together. Otherwise you'll have too much slop like I have on my 61 Champ now. Fortunately I have (as do you I believe) an extra parts axle just in case!
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                      X