Hawk Ammeter mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Hawk Ammeter mounting

I'm putting an oil pressure gauge and ammeter from a Hawk in my Champ. The mounting of the oil gauge is obvious with teh two studs and L brackets, but the ammeter has nothing to work with. There are the two studs for the electrical, but nothing else. How is is installed?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Ammeters usually mount with a "bridge" style bracket that has nylon bushings in oversize holes for the electrical studs, Place ammeter in hole, place bridge with bushings over both studs, use nuts and flat washers to clamp meter in place, then your current wires, followed by nuts and lock washers.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

i guess I need that bracket and bushings. Help anyone?
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

Looks Great! Those are the '62-'64 GT Hawk Gauges in Matty Black, they look good on the Champ "Radio Opening Block-Off Plate" (NOT Radio Delete) it takes a couple more words to get it correct!
          I think Studebaker called it a 'Cover" even simpler.

Actually small "Clamps" (L Brackets) were used on Direct Lighting Gauges where there were no "Light Boxes", unfortunately these are made with "Windows" to use the light box for lighting and mounting.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 12-21-2019, 01:39 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Ron, you will need a mounting "Bridge" from a S W gauge. other brands have different stud spacing. i checked several and the closest was a 1/2 stud width off or not centered top to bottom. I'll keep looking just in case. Luck Doofus

Comment

Most Ammeters used in later cars had a sheet metal "box" that they mounted in. That also mounted the light bulb for lighting.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                Most Ammeters used in later cars had a sheet metal "box" that they mounted in. That also mounted the light bulb for lighting.
                Yes on all '56 to '64 C and K Bodies, as previously said in Post #5.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 12-24-2019, 02:35 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Think later cars means 62 and up, while 56 to 61 used "Bridge", maybe slice up a box? think theirs one in the 56 parts box with some after market gauges, hafta look when sunzup. Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
                  X