Time for a new battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Time for a new battery

So for years I have utilized Interstate "Mega-Tron" batteries. Last one was about 6 years ago.
    Battery will not hold a charge anymore, so I am looking for a good replacement for a group 24 battery.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I hope that you realize that Interstate does NOT manufacture any batteries. What you got or will get from them varies.
    I have tried many purveyors of batteries and have settled on Walmart's best batteries for the best bang for the buck.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hard to beat Walmart, $49 for their cheap Group 24 and decent prices on the rest. The last three batteries I've bought were the $49 ones and they are going on 3 yrs old currently. One has been rolling my seldom used Kubota 21hp diesel over for that long.

I'm sure you know but JIC there are both 24 and 24F varieties depending on +/- locations.

Bob

Comment

Good point to remember, Studebaker 12 Volt Batteries all mount with the Negative Post FORWARD and Inboard keeping the Posts away from the downward slope of the hood and making the cables route nearest to their connection point and correctly.

That is why, reverse Posts on the "Ford" 24F Battery do not work well.

We have an Auto Electric Shop up here that sells "Alaska Gold" Batteries I am pretty sure they are a Limited labeling kind of thing, Proprietary to just them or certain Auto Electric Shops.

But what the Store Owner tells me is that; "the Line of Batteries I bought my Group 24 from, all have "Cast Plates" as opposed to the Cheaply made "Auto Parts Store" type with thin "pressed" sheet Plates." This includes the newer Interstate Batteries now made in China.

This gives them much longer Life, mine go 6 to 7 years easily.

I never tore one apart, so don't shoot the messenger!
        Last edited by StudeRich; 12-20-2019, 12:11 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Good point to remember, Studebaker 12 Volt Batteries all mount with the Negative Post FORWARD and Inboard keeping the Posts away from the downward slope of the hood and making the cables route nearest to their connection point and correctly.

That is why, reverse Posts on the "Ford" 24F Battery do not work well.

We have an Auto Electric Shop up here that sells "Alaska Gold" Batteries I am pretty sure they are a Limited labeling kind of thing, Proprietary to just them or certain Auto Electric Shops.

But what the Store Owner tells me is that; "the Line of Batteries I bought my Group 24 from, all have "Cast Plates" as opposed to the Cheaply made "Auto Parts Store" type with thin "pressed" sheet Plates." This includes the newer Interstate Batteries now made in China.

This gives them much longer Life, mine go 6 to 7 years easily.

I never tore one apart, so don't shoot the messenger!
          Perhaps you mean "Alaskan Gold" batteries. Alaskan Gold is a Trademark of Whatcom Electric Co., Bellingham, WA.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I find Costco (Kirkland) has good prices on batteries. I've only had it in my '66 Cruiser for two years, so I cannot give a full report on longevity, but others I know with Kirkland batteries haven't complained any.

Craig

Comment

I wish StudeBob were here, he could tell us all about Bummer Batteries in Mayretta Jawja.
              Ron Dame
              '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post

Perhaps you mean "Alaskan Gold" batteries. Alaskan Gold is a Trademark of Whatcom Electric Co., Bellingham, WA.
                OPPS, Oh Dear! I forgot an "N", now I gotta go out in the Garage in the rain and check!

Makes sense as I said, and yes I bought it there.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

OPPS, Oh Dear! I forgot an "N", now I gotta go out in the Garage in the rain and check!

Makes sense as I said, and yes I bought it there.
                  No rain here. It is now 19 and going down to 12 degrees F for the third straight night and it isn't even Winter yet, but I do not go outside to my garage and my garage is heated. I sort of lucked out last evening. I left my warm garage and went to an event that was in a hotel with a connected parking garage.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                  X